Lately with Layne: ‘Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour’ provides a unique concert experience

“Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” premiered in theaters Oct. 13. Last weekend, Swifties rushed to theaters all over North America to immerse in the unique concert experience. The film takes viewers through the entire concert, keeping the same order of “eras.” Only five songs were excluded, but it still includes two surprise songs like a typical show. 

Any concert experience is challenging to recreate, but Swift came as close as she could to putting on “The Eras Tour” in theaters. Only showing the film Thursday through Sunday each week guarantees a larger crowd that is more likely to engage in the film by singing along, doing chants and applauding. 

While some felt that singing and dancing didn’t follow theater etiquette, trading friendship bracelets and dressing up in merch or concert outfits are harmless ways to engage in the real concert experience without the extensive costs. With that, most cities have multiple movie theaters – some bigger or smaller than others. My theater was small and less of a concert experience, but still enjoyable. I’ve seen videos of bigger theaters with fans in the front dancing to the songs. If that’s what you’re looking for, it’s definitely available. 

“Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” offsets itself from other concert films such as “Micheal Jackson’s This Is It” and “Homecoming: A Film by Beyonce” because of its true immersive nature. These other concert films show behind-the-scenes footage and clips of the artist not performing, but Swift’s clear objective was to bring the raw experience of “The Eras Tour” to home screens. Footage of the creation of “The Eras Tour” would be just as intriguing, but the tour isn’t close to being over, so a behind-the-scenes look wouldn’t have been as fitting as a concert recording. 

I did not secure a ticket for the first U.S. leg of her tour, but I have one for next November. I was itching to know what the concert was like without spoiling it, and I don’t regret seeing the movie whatsoever. Concert spoilers on TikTok could only encapsulate a small portion of the intrinsic set designs, talented backup dancers, vocalists and Swift’s facial expressions. The movie is a close-up of the entire show. 

I secured nosebleeds for the tour, so I’m glad to know beforehand what is happening up close because of the film. I’m also excited to have a Taylor Swift-themed reusable cup. 

At this point in Swift’s popularity, attending a show is a privilege. Her tickets aren’t unattainable at face value and it is a highly competitive battle with Ticketmaster, so a $19.89 movie ticket without a battle is a much more inclusive and manageable experience. Because of that, I would even encourage those who aren’t self-proclaimed Swifties to attend the movie. It is the perfect opportunity for Swifties to show their friends and family what the fuss is all about for a decent price at a comfortable event. 

I encourage everyone to see “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour.” No matter your status within the fandom or experience with her concerts, the movie is a testament to her performing ability that can keep anyone engaged and yearning for more.

Layne Rey is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Layne know by tweeting her @laynerey12.