Ranking every season of ‘The Walking Dead’

"The Walking Dead" famously premiered on Halloween in 2010 with its pilot episode "Days Gone Bye." It surrounds the life of Rick Grimes and his friends, family and enemies as they struggle to survive in a post-apocalyptic zombie world. It was an immediate hit in the horror scene and stayed on the air for 12 years, with the last episode airing on Nov. 20, 2022. 

There are plenty of mixed emotions about the show, its ever-changing directors, cast and its overall connectedness to the comic it is based on. However, it is impossible to dispute the icon status it achieved as it has been nominated for many awards, including the Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Drama and the Writers Guild of America Award for New Series. 

With Halloween quickly approaching, here is a list of "The Walking Dead" seasons ranked in honor of the series' original Halloween premiere. 

11. Season 10 

"Season 10" of "The Walking Dead" fell victim to the COVID-19 pandemic, and this was felt in its continuity. The season finale was originally scheduled to air on April 12, 2020, but got delayed to Oct. 4 with an additional six episodes added. While this season had great moments for the redemption of Negan, a hated yet beloved character, and Maggie, who was recovering from the death of her husband Glenn, it felt too disjointed. The war against the Whisperers, which was built up in the comics as a massive conflict, also felt tired and rushed.

10. Season 7

This season made the audience feel just like the series' main characters: pathetic. Following the heartbreaking deaths of Abraham and Glenn, Rick and his crew were lost at the hands of Negan and were made out to be the weakest we've seen them in the series. It was an important season plot-wise, showing how the main group was not invincible. But it honed in on this concept so much that the season was practically unenjoyable to watch. 

9. Season 8

Coming right after its sister season is "Season 8." This war between Rick and Negan had been building for roughly three seasons, but the battle's turnout was anything but epic. The season earned a score of 64% on Rotten Tomatoes. According to Screenrant, "critics praised the heightened intensity and action, especially following Season 7, but found the lethargic pacing less than impressive." 

8. Season 11 

The series finale, "Season 11," gave great closure to such a long-running show, but it felt rushed. The season follows the conflict between the main group and the Commonwealth, a large network of communities with advanced equipment. Since the series has given plenty of money and fans to the AMC network, the finale gave way to multiple spin-off series' including "The Walking Dead: Dead Cityand "The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon." While Season 11 was a good conclusion, it didn't feel finished since it alludes to many stories that will be continued in these spin-offs. 

7. Season 9

Following the All Out War shown in "Season 8," this season felt lost. Losing the motivation to defeat Negan, the show turned toward the new threat of the Whisperers. However, the lack of focus on them failed to assert them as the new "big enemy." The show also lost many viewers after losing its lead actor, Andrew Lincoln, who plays the main character, Rick Grimes. Lincoln left the show by choice, wishing to return to his family, who lived in a different country. While Lincoln and the showrunners were in agreement about his disappearance, fans couldn't help but feel the hit of his loss in the series dynamic.

6. Season 6 

The show's sixth season matches its ranking as sixth on the list. Though there were notable moments, such as Glenn's "death," even though viewers later find out he survives, the season had its downfalls. The Wolves, in particular, were introduced as an enemy but then quickly discarded as a major plot point. The season acted as a band-aid to the end of "Season 5," struggling to shine on its own. 

5. Season 5

The aftermath of Terminus, a cannibalistic society that takes in Rick's group intending to eat them, was purposefully scattered, leaving the main crew in various situations. While this season gave viewers some really insightful moments and character development, it also had viewers begging to see the group reunite, disliking their fan favorites being separated for a long time. 

4. Season 4

Continuing the streak of rating placements matching the season itself, "Season 4" lands itself fourth on the list. This season sees mainly comic-accurate characters at their prime. The Governor stood the test of time, arguably the series' best villain despite his early death in the show's timeline. With a top-notch crew and a top-notch villain, it's hard to find a single dull moment in "Season 4." 

3. Season 2

After a killer premiere, "The Walking Dead" had extremely big shoes to fill with its second installment. While the show took off running in both views and ratings, this season simply cannot beat the thrill of Seasons 1 and 3The farm was a slow segment of the show despite having one of the best showdowns in the series with Rick versus his former best friend, Shane. 

2. Season 1 

Now, this is a controversial one. Many critics and viewers alike regard the first season of "The Walking Dead" as the best season. While it delivers an amazing introduction to the series and its characters, it cannot beat the grime and gristle of "Season 3."

1. Season 3 

Saving the best for last, the third season of "The Walking Dead" is the definition of peak television. It won various awards, including Best Syndicated/Cable Television Series at the 39th Saturn Awards. It also introduces beloved characters such as Michonne, The Governor and Tyreese and the return of Merle Dixon. Going along with this stellar introduction is the first sight of one of the series' best settings: the prison. Best after best, peak after peak and filled to the brim with action and sentimentality, "Season 3" takes the cake as "The Walking Dead's" best overall season.

@Siimmooneee

st398721@ohio.edu