Ranking every song from ‘Pure Heroine’ by Lorde

Sept. 27, 2013, was the day Lorde broke through into the mainstream with her debut album, “Pure Heroine.” An album navigating listeners through the teenage experience, the singer’s work has become a beloved trademark in her sound and musical catalog amongst fans and critics alike.

In honor of its recent 10-year anniversary, here is a ranking of every song from “Pure Heroine” by Lorde:

10. “Still Sane” 

While “Still Sane” is good, it’s not a standout for a reason. With heavy production and Lorde’s striking alto, it does not do much for listeners. Instead, it provides a breathing point in “Pure Heroine,” allowing listeners to explore other tracks that the singer is now known for from the record. It does show a sign of potential from Lorde, as her vivid use of imagery and her dedication to the concept of being a teenager don’t let the song lose all of its appeal.

9. “Glory and Gore”

Similar in sound to “Still Sane” and other songs like “Team” and “Buzzcut Season,” this track is a step above the previous ranking, but still gets lost in the grand scheme of “Pure Heroine.” In a song about the hostility of teenagers, comparing the stress of social hierarchies to fighting in a boxing ring, Lorde creates the central theme that popularity is toxic. A sentiment many young people can sympathize with, “Glory and Gore” manages not to be in the bottom rank because of the singer’s sense of the world around her.

8. “White Teeth Teens”

A more upbeat song, “White Teeth Teens,” revels in the fun of being a teenager with Lorde tapping into the playfulness that all teenagers feel at some point in their lives. Singing “We wouldn’t be seen dead here in the day yeah / I guess you’re lucky that it’s dark now / And if I like it then we’ll stay / Impress the empress, take a shot now,” the singer emits an impulse to do something risky, a high that can’t be recreated once you’re past your teenage years. Again, it’s not Lorde’s best work, but it still is fun to listen to after 10 years.

7. “Royals”

As much as “Royals” helped launch Lorde’s career, its overplayed nature and repetitiveness reduce its star power. Of course, it’s one of pop music’s most memorable releases from the 2010s, but doesn’t have much subject to it. As the singer laments about the upper class, it’s hard to take this song seriously because of how much it leans into a bubblegum-pop sound, which is now hard to listen to 10 years later. Yet, it’s iconic as it holds much cultural significance in American pop culture, and that’s why it holds this ranking.

6. “Team”

“Team” is a track that is memorable for its opening, with the singer warping her voice to imitate someone to the likes of an announcer. Calling on her close friends to support her during dark times, the song is meaningful because it highlights the importance of friendship and connection, evident as the singer says, “We live in cities you’ll never see on screen / Not very pretty, but we sure know how to run things / Livin’ in ruins of a palace within my dreams / And you know, we’re on each other’s team.” Overall, it’s an edgy song that feels almost dystopian as Lorde sings of class consciousness.

5. “Buzzcut Season”

As someone who has seen Lorde sing “Buzzcut Season” live, it’s a much better song performed in front of an audience than in its recording. A somewhat standout track, it sees the singer reflecting on the world she was facing during the early 2010s, calling out injustices like military bombings and political unrest worldwide. What makes this song interesting is that Lorde also addresses the dangers of being a teenager, especially in schools, which is now a pressing topic in politics proving her knowledge and awareness of teenage hardships.

4. “400 Lux”

“400 Lux” is ranked No. 4 for its relatable nature. Lorde talks about driving in endless circles around her New Zealand suburb, which almost all teenagers can still relate to to this day. A common high school experience, the singer makes the ordinary sound like a cool scene from a coming-of-age movie, using layered vocals and siren-esque production to cause listeners to perk up. It’s also a perfect song for fall, as it emits a sense of nostalgia.

3. “Tennis Court”

“Don’t you think that it’s boring how people talk?” is an amazing opening line, especially as Lorde goes on to admit her thoughts on fame and celebrity culture. Using the symbol of a tennis court, a common stance found in upper-class suburbs, the singer compares a tennis court to the class system again, with the rich and popular gossiping about the lower. Also using the common high school tropes of a class clown or a beauty queen, Lorde equates fame to high status, and only the most wealthy and well-known get recognition for their art. Still happening today, “Tennis Court” is another moment in the album that was simply ahead of its time thematically.

2. “A World Alone”

One of the deepest songs on the album, “A World Alone” discusses the challenges of being an outsider looking in, not knowing what lies ahead of your future. A well-known fear every teenager faces, Lorde sings about not feeling prepared enough, or capable of having a stable career. She also goes into the idea of being “fake,” telling listeners how many of the popular kids that have surrounded her for so long are ingenuine and judgmental. Relying only on her inner circle, it’s a sweet song about holding onto your true friends, which Lorde illustrates through call-and-response vocals and her creative lyricism. 

1. “Ribs”

Obviously, “Ribs” takes the cake as the best song from “Pure Heroine,” as almost everyone who loves Lorde knows this track by heart. The ultimate coming-of-age song, she unleashes all her inner anxieties and fears about growing older, which eventually was discussed in her sophomore album, “Melodrama.” With killer lyrics like, “This dream isn’t feeling sweet, we’re reeling through the midnight streets / And I’ve never felt more alone, feels so scary getting old,” this song perfectly describes what loneliness feels like in your teens, and how sad it can be at times.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu