Reflecting on No.1 songs from the 2023 Billboard Hot 100 chart

Many songs have reached No.1 on the Billboard Hot 100 this year; it is the ultimate feat to achieve in the world of mainstream music. From Taylor Swift to Morgan Wallen, multiple genres have produced some of the best and worst hits of the year for music listeners.

Here's a few of the No.1 songs from the 2023 Billboard Hot 100 chart and how mainstream listeners have perceived them:

"Anti-Hero" by Taylor Swift 

Hitting No.1 after 12 weeks on the Billboard charts during the week of Jan. 21, Taylor Swift's "Anti-Hero" proved to be a lasting hit from her most recent album, "Midnights." While many dislike the singer for her songs about self-loathing, this track attracted mass appeal for its vulnerable lyricism about being a female performer. With iconic lyrics like, "It's me, hi, I'm the problem it's me" and "Did you hear my covert narcissism I disguise as altruism / Like some kind of congressman?" Swift made a catchy and upbeat song, even with heartbreaking subject matter behind the production.

"Flowers" by Miley Cyrus

"I can buy myself flowers" has become a memorable lyric throughout 2023, all thanks to Miley Cyrus. While I wasn't a huge fan of this song, the whole world seemed to love it, with many inspired by its feminist theme of loving yourself before being tied down. A direct nod to her past marriage with actor Liam Hemsworth, "Flowers" received praise also for its reversed lyrics of Bruno Mars' "When I Was Your Man," as well as Cyrus's return to pop music after her previous 2020 album, "Plastic Hearts." 

"Slime You Out (feat. SZA)" by Drake 

This song flopped after Drake and SZA both announced a surprise collaboration with "Slime You Out." After a brief relationship back in the early 2000s, it was shocking to see the two come together, but with a disastrous PR rollout and underwhelming vocals and production, the two of pop music's biggest stars simply fumbled on this song. A supposed breakup song, it didn't feel authentic nor new, so no wonder it only lasted for one week on the Billboard Hot 100 in the No.1 spot back in September. 

"I Remember Everything (feat. Kacey Musgraves)" by Zach Bryan 

Acting as both Zach Bryan and Kacey Musgraves' first No.1 single on the Billboard Hot 100, the country starts perfectly exemplified how to blend the genres of country and pop music. With Bryan already having a breakthrough year for his self-titled album, which dropped in August, the two managed to earn this spot during the week of Sept. 9. With the duo singing about trying to ease the pain of a breakup with other substances, their isolated harmonies and folk instrumentals made "I Remember Everything (feat. Kacey Musgraves)" one of the most unexpected and well-executed songs of 2023.

"Try That In A Small Town" by Jason Aldean

Country music became a detrimental example of how music can promote the wrong messages, especially with "Try That In A Small Town" by Jason Aldean. Debuting at No. 1 during the week of Aug. 5, it served as the singer's first No.1 spot, sparking debates over his stances on gun violence, racism and lynching. With many music listeners upset over his fanbase promoting the song's themes, it was definitely one of 2023's most controversial and tasteless rankings on the Billboard Hot 100.

"Kill Bill" by SZA

"Kill Bill" was one of SZA's breakthrough singles from her December 2022 album "SOS," which is slated to be one of music's biggest albums of the year. The singer's first No.1 hit, it previously spent eight weeks at No.2 on the Billboard Hot 100 until peaking on April 29. With a smooth beat and SZA's golden vocals, this song made being a psycho killer sound cool, coming from one of R&B's biggest stars.

"Last Night" by Morgan Wallen

Another country song that caught the world's attention was "Last Night" by Morgan Wallen. Surprisingly, the singer's album "One Thing At A Time" is projected to be the biggest-selling album of 2023, topping other major artists like Taylor Swift and SZA. A carefree summer song about drinking too much and waking up to many regrets, Wallen's relatable perspective caused many music listeners to stream this track, earning its No.1 spot.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu