Week 7 Student Media Poll picks from “The Post”

Each week, the Sports' editorial team selects its Top 25 FBS college football teams for the Student Media Poll.

The SMP is a nationwide poll featuring 97 student journalists from schools across the nation. 

The Post Sports will break down its ballots each week. Here are the top five, those it dropped out of the Top 25 and those it added.

Robert Keegan III, Sports Editor 

Top 5

1. Michigan 

2. Ohio State 

3. Georgia 

4. Washington 

5. Florida State

Washington is the only team to enter my top 5 this week following a thrilling win against top-10 opponent, Oregon. Michael Penix Jr., Washington's quarterback, is the favorite for the Heisman right now and has helped the team enter the top 5. 

Georgia may appear at No. 1 on most polls, but I remain unconvinced after the team allowed 20 points in a win against Vanderbilt.

Who I added 

Florida, Iowa

Iowa continues to have one of the worst offenses in the nation, but it keeps winning. The Hawkeyes are sitting at 6-1 and may not lose a game the rest of the season given the easier nature of the rest of their schedule.

Florida continues to be up and down but keeps winning some of the big games on its schedule. With wins over Tennessee and now South Carolina, the 5-2 Gators are worthy of a spot in the Top 25.

Who I dropped 

Wyoming, Louisville 

Wyoming's matchup with Air Force was one I was excited for going into the weekend, two of the best out of the Mountain West squaring off with major Group of Five implications. Wyoming just couldn’t pull it out against an Air Force team that may find itself to be the best Group of Five teams at the end of the season. 

Louisville entered the week 6-0 and left with a terrible loss to Pitt, one of the worst teams in the ACC. The team will have to rebound against a good opponent in order to find itself back in the Top 25. 

Bobby Gorbett, Sports Editor 

Top 5

1. Michigan

2. Georgia

3. Ohio State

4. Washington

5. Florida State

All top-three teams took care of business over the weekend, defeating conference opponents by three scores or more. Washington pulled off a close win in a top-10 clash against Oregon. The Huskies have consistently been one of the nation's best teams throughout the season but finally have a signature win.

Like Michigan, Georgia and Ohio State, Florida State was dominant over the weekend and remains undefeated.

Who I added

Air Force, Iowa, Tulane, Tennessee

Air Force earned its spot in the Top 25 with a win over one-loss Wyoming. The Falcons are one of the FBS’ only remaining undefeated teams and have a chance for one of its better seasons in recent memory.

Iowa has already reached six wins, including one over previous Big Ten West-favorite Wisconsin. Although the Hawkeyes need to make serious improvements on offense, the defense has continued to be one of the best in the country.

Tulane has continued to stack wins after its lone loss to Ole Miss. Tulane’s most recent win, Memphis, is one of its best of the season.

Tennessee’s win over Texas A+M finally has it in my Top 25. Although the volunteers are without a Top 25 win, the team has handled business against unranked opponents.

Who I dropped

Wisconsin, Maryland, Wyoming, Washington State

Wisconsin’s loss epitomizes the flaws that have held it back from national contention in recent memory. The Badgers simply didn’t have the offensive efficiency to win against Iowa.

Maryland’s loss against Illinois was one of the most surprising of the season. The Terrapins’ second loss in a row means the team will have to pull off a huge upset against Penn State or Michigan later in the season to reenter the Top 25. 

It is difficult for any two-loss Group of Five teams to stay in the Top 25 this early in the season, but Wyoming was very close. It didn’t play poorly by any means on the road against Air Force but it undoubtedly missed a significant opportunity to pull off the upset.

Washington State’s blowout loss to Arizona was too ugly to keep the team in the Top 25. The Cougars certainly have the opportunity to pull off a couple of upsets the rest of the way, but as of right now, they don’t look like a Top 25 team.

@GorbettBobby

bg238320@ohio.edu 

@robert_keegan

bk272121@ohio.edu