This playlist is perfect to celebrate fall

The air is crisp, the coffee shop menus have been infiltrated with pumpkin spice and the sweaters have come out of the closet. It is officially fall and every great season needs equally as great music to set the tone. Whether it is for a picturesque walk through the campus scenery, a trip to the pumpkin patch or a cozy afternoon in, the following songs are sure to set the perfect soundtrack for all of fall’s happenings. 

“Gold rush” by Taylor Swift

This song may not be about the rush of the golden-colored leaves of fall, but if any song sets the scene for the season the best, it is this one. “Gold rush” is the third track on Taylor Swift’s ninth studio album ”evermore.” While the whole album could serve as a fall playlist in itself, “gold rush” perfectly encapsulates the deeply cozy feeling of walking around in the fluffiest sweater surrounded by the falling leaves. Plus, the matching intro and outro make it the perfect song to have on repeat the whole season.

“Sleep On The Floor” by The Lumineers 

Throughout its discography, The Lumineers have songs fit for every season, but “Sleep On The Floor” was made for chilly fall evenings spent under the sunset. The song opens with a noise reminiscent of the wind blowing, and one can almost feel the cool air from the song playing in their headphones. The song is perfect for evening drives through the countryside or small towns or walks at dusk with the fall temperatures at a perfect 55 degrees.

“You’re Gonna Go Far” by Noah Kahan 

Fall is the season of change and nothing embodies change quite like this hit from Noah Kahan. The song is about watching a loved one move away from home and letting them know that it is OK. The song is the perfect soundtrack for that drive back from Thanksgiving dinner having reunited with family or even just taking a walk through the trees as they shed their fall-colored leaves. 

“Since We’re Alone” by Niall Horan 

“Flicker,” the debut solo album from Niall Horan, is another album that belongs on every fall playlist in its entirety. The soft beat and reassuring lyrics make this one of the best tunes for fall. Put on a cozy sweatshirt and indulge in all the fall festivities with this song in the background. It is an easy listen and overly compliments the calmness and quiet that typically comes with fall. 

“Another Door Closes” by Jont 

This is a curl-up in front of the fireplace with a fluffy blanket song. The soft piano and backing instrumentals make for the perfect, cozy fall song. The lyrics remind listeners to love their loved ones and appreciate life while they have it, perfectly showcasing the feeling so many people have when the leaves start changing colors and Thanksgiving and the rest of the holiday season looms in the distance. Hug someone, bake a pie and settle into an afternoon on the couch with this song playing lightly in the background. 

“Slow It Down” by The Lumineers 

Everything seems to slow down in a sense once the full swing of fall kicks in. “Slow It Down” is the perfect song for those darker fall days when everything seems a tad bit too cold. “Tie up your scarf real tight” and succumb to the season’s dreary days with this track. 

“All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version)” by Taylor Swift

If “best fall song” was an Olympic sport, “All Too Well,” specifically the 10-minute version, would win first prize every time. While most Taylor Swift fans have been listening to the track relentlessly since Oct. 1, the song needs to be on everybody’s fall music radar. Although 10 minutes seems like a daunting length for a song, the imagery and pure heartache expressed in the ballad make 10 minutes feel like two. If not for a sound that personifies the fall season, the lyrics “autumn leaves falling down like pieces into place” are enough to land this song a permanent spot in the fall music hall of fame. 

et029322@ohio.edu