What your favorite horror film subgenre says about you

The horror genre is considered one of the most entertaining, yet subjective, genres in the film world. It offers a wide range of storytelling techniques and horrifying effects that fans of the genre love and adore. These characteristics of a horror film can be placed into smaller categories called subgenres. Movies can cross into different subgenres, keep to one central theme or fluctuate through the film..

As a viewer watches different horror films and broadens their film viewing, they may develop a taste for a specific subgenre. If you are one of these people, here are 10 horror film subgenres and what they say about you! Each category is based on the central premise, villain or story-telling technique of different types of horror movies.

Supernatural/Paranormal (ex: “The Conjuring,” “The Exorcist,” “Carrie”)

You’re an inquisitive individual with an interest in what lies beyond death. It freaks you out, which is why you turn to films that deal with the extremes of the past coming back to haunt you. Supernatural/paranormal films tend to have a lot of jumpscares and suspense, which is one of the things you love about these films. You love the build-up and the thrill of the ride. It’s something that falls over into reality as well: You live for excitement and the joy of laughing in the face of your fears. It’s an admirable trait of yours, so never lose that thrill!

Found Footage (ex: “The Blair Witch Project,” “Cloverfield,” “Paranormal Activity”)

You’re a bit of a creep, a weirdo. You’re a people watcher and enjoy asking the question, “Why do people do the things they do?” Having a morbid sense of curiosity isn’t the worst human trait of all time as it is completely normal for humans to find excitement in those types of things. It’s like watching a car crash in slow motion—you can’t look away. However, there is a safety net in watching these films where you know that whoever is on screen and the torture they experience isn’t real. It comforts you, which is why you enjoy watching these films. 

Psychological (ex: “The Silence of the Lambs,” “The Shining,” “Get Out”)

If psychological horror films are more your speed, you’re also a bit of a people watcher, but in a deeper way. You love solving a puzzle and understanding the depths of the human condition. It’s an intriguing topic to you, and you tend to completely immerse yourself in it. It can get a bit obsessive at times, but you know that there’s a method to your madness. You’re extremely self-aware, which can be a problem for you sometimes. It’s okay though, it’s all a part of your charm!

Sci-Fi (ex: “Alien,” “Nope,” “The Fly”)

You’re a bit of a nerd, but I’m sure you’ve been told that already. You embrace your nerd side to the fullest, and you’re unapologetic about it. These films tend to tackle the impossible and the challenges of the human experience, which you find intriguing. You have an active imagination, and you’re not afraid to dabble with the darkness that manifests in your daydreams. Perhaps you find yourself daydreaming too much, but that’s perfectly okay! It helps your creativity and allows you to be mindful of yourself and others. Just don’t get too caught up in that darkness or else it’ll swallow you whole.

Slasher (ex: “Halloween,” “Scream,” “A Nightmare on Elm Street”)

If you’re a fan of slasher horror films, you have a twisted sense of humor that not everyone understands. It can make you seem slightly off-putting at first, but you mean no harm to anyone. Nevertheless, you’re another obsessive type, especially about these types of films. You’re probably a ride-or-die for a specific franchise with its main slasher villain as your favorite horror figure. Even so, you simply enjoy having a good time whether you’re watching a slasher film or not. 

Zombie (ex: “Night of the Living Dead,” “Resident Evil,” “28 Days Later”)

Fans of zombie flicks are some of the creepiest, yet coolest, people I have ever met. You take your love of zombie movies to another level, and you enjoy every single minute of them. Sometimes it’s the action that draws you in or it’s the creativity of the zombie effects that intrigues you. Nonetheless, you’re a fan of art and you’re not deterred by how grotesque it may get. If anything, it makes you love it even more.

Splatter/Gore (ex: “The Evil Dead,” “Saw,” “Terrifier”)

If you’re into the splatter/gore parts of horror, you are a brave individual. You like getting down and dirty, and you’re not afraid to see the deepest, darkest parts of people (quite literally). You seek the truth behind people’s actions, and you’re not afraid of confrontation. It can get a little overwhelming sometimes, but you know that it’s for the best. After all, honesty is the best policy, and what’s more honest than seeing the insides of people become their outsides?

Comedic (ex: “Shaun of the Dead,” “The Cabin in the Woods,” “Beetlejuice”)

Obviously, if comedic horror is more to your taste, you have quite the funny bone. Maybe you’re a bit basic with your sense of humor, but you get the whole crowd laughing when you crack a quick joke. You’re the life of the party, and you enjoy it wholeheartedly. However, you can be a bit of an introvert as you tend to find yourself observing the scene from the back of the crowd. At the end of the day, you enjoy hanging out with the people closest to you, and you use humor as a way to engage with them.

Creature Features/Monsters (ex: “Dracula,” “Jaws,” “Godzilla”)

You’re a bit old school if creature features and monster stories are your favorite horror subgenre. You enjoy learning about the darkest sides of history, and you like taking deep dives into fantastical stories that you find interesting. Although you are a history buff, you’re also somewhat of a literature nerd. You enjoy reading books and poetry, and you love a good story with lots of twists and turns. If vampires are your main focus within this broad subgenre, you’re a bit of a romantic and enjoy the romantic side of literature. We could go further into what your favorite creature (vampires, werewolves or aliens) says about you, but that is for another article.

Witchcraft (ex: “Suspiria,” “The Love Witch,” “The Craft”)

If witchy horror films are your fascination, you’re hands down the coolest person ever. You have an impeccable sense of style, and your creativity knows no bounds. The little things in life give you enough strength to pursue your passions, and you are a force to deal with when you tunnel in on your obsessions. Heed my warning: make sure not to have your sights too locked in or else you may miss the bigger things in life. Listen to your heart, and all will turn out okay. Blessed be!

@brookekillslive

bp655221@ohio.edu