What your favorite ‘The Perks of Being a Wallflower’ character says about you

In 2012, Steven Chbosky, the author of the beloved “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” adapted his book into an original screenplay, directing it himself. Starring Logan Lerman, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller as Charlie, Sam and Patrick, the film received praise for its accurate portrayal of the story, as well as its themes of friendship, grief, trauma and love.

If you’re a fan of this film like me, here’s what your favorite character from “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” says about you:

Charlie

As the book title suggests, you are a total wallflower. You tend to stay off to the side, not wanting to be the center of attention. People value your humbleness and soft-spoken nature, and you only surround yourself with people who are the same. You like adventure from time to time, escaping off onto late-night drives with your friends or dancing in the middle of Court Street. You tend to bottle up your inner thoughts and emotions, letting them out when you are overwhelmed or stressed, which is a bad tendency of yours. However, you are great at giving advice, as the inner writer in you allows you to think better when you’re writing down words of affirmation for others.

Sam

If you identify the most with Watson’s interpretation of Sam, then boy are you cool. You have a carefree attitude, not letting the ignorance and rudeness of others get in your way. You march to the beat of your own drum, and you’re fond of being tied down. You may have a tough exterior, but deep down, you have a big heart. You stand up for others when it’s needed, but your anger and outspokenness can lead you down the wrong paths sometimes, causing you to make amends with others. You can find the fun in any situation, not liking to dwell too much on the negative. You are supportive and strong, which makes people want to be like you.

Patrick

You love attention and thrive off of it the most when everyone has their eyes on you. You don’t care about what others think, or at least you try to emit that. You are confident, bold and unapologetic, doing and saying what you want. You may have a smaller circle of friends, but those friends are the ones who keep you grounded and sane at the end of a long day. You tend to get annoyed easily, especially when you feel left out. You hold strong bonds with your family and friends, and nobody should try to break those. Your friendliness makes others feel welcome, and you’re never afraid to take someone under your wing.

Mr. Anderson

Played by the iconic Paul Rudd, you probably like Mr. Anderson if you’re an English major or minor with a big heart. You are selfless, helping others when you sense they are struggling. Your relatable sense of humor and views on the world allows you to come across as a retrospective and contemplative person, which other people find comforting. You like to gently push others towards their success, trying to get them to see their potential regularly. While you may get walked over at times for your easy-going personality, you usually leave a lasting impression on people for years to come.

Mary Elizabeth

While some may find you overbearing at times, the ones you surround yourself with love you for your interesting takes on subjects like music and pop culture. Your individuality shines through, especially through your fashion and accessories. You like to switch up your look every day, not conforming to what others are wearing. Even though you can be a little hard to get along with at first, people end up wanting to hang around you because of your dry sense of humor and views. You are quite sensitive though, causing you to lash out at others when you think they’ve wronged you. In the aftermath, you always realize that your emotions get the best of you at times, and are someone who can’t hold a grudge for long.

Brad

There’s not much to say about Brad, but if you like this character, it’s probably because you’re either a former jock or athlete, which aren’t necessarily bad things. However, you may be stubborn in your views, hurting others along the way when they don’t agree with you. Yet, you tend to see in the end that your words and actions have consequences, which the film highlights.

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu