5 ways to spend your 21st birthday

For many Ohio University students, turning 21 is a milestone. Although not everyone may want to go out and drink their 21 years of life away, the 21st birthday is a time to celebrate all of your achievements and a life well spent in Athens.

Here’s a list of 21st birthday activities that will surely amplify your special day in Athens:

Hit all the bars on Court Street

Now that you’re legal, it’s only right to go out to Court Street and visit all the bars you have, or haven’t, been to before. From Courtside Pizza to The Over Hang, you can take as many people as you want alongside you and jump from bar to bar throughout the night. Chances are you may get a free drink or two, and it’s a fun and memorable way to celebrate your 21st birthday. 

You can also make a game out of this activity. Some people like to do bar crawls and scavenger hunts, which can elevate your going-out experience if you’re looking to make it more interesting and creative.

Throw a party at home

If you’re not a fan of going to the bars, throwing a party at home is definitely a cheaper option. Invite all of your close friends and have a night in by decorating, putting on some music and offering up snacks and drinks, alcoholic or non-alcoholic. By throwing a party at home, you don’t have to worry about bracing the winter temperatures or large crowds, and you may feel a lot more at ease in your own space.

You can play games, have a dance party or do a movie or wine night, and your guests will definitely have a good time overall with whatever you choose to do.

Have a birthday dinner

Sometimes, a party for your 21st birthday may be too overwhelming to plan and organize, especially if you’re more introverted. Instead of dealing with the stress of planning a party, invite a few of your close friends, family or significant other out to a birthday dinner. Try a new restaurant in Athens you haven’t been to before as well, such as Restaurant Salaam, Cirò Italian Kitchen & Bar or Siam Thai.

This option allows you to feel more comfortable and in the moment with the people you actually want to spend your birthday with and also prevents any chaos from ensuing. You can choose to drink or not to drink depending on your preference in a contained space, which may suit you more if you are not big on drinking.

Try one of Athens’ wineries

A winery is a unique and intimate spot to celebrate your 21st birthday if you are not really a fan of beer or mixed drinks. Luckily, Athens has a lot of locations to choose from, such as Pleasant Hill Vineyards, which is open from 4-9 p.m. on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and 2-9 p.m. on Saturdays. 

Overlooking a beautiful garden, you can sit inside or outside with the people you love and enjoy your birthday without the crowds of Court Street and house parties.

Other places like Athens Uncorked and Shade Winery also have great wine selections, and serve appetizers and food. Athens Uncorked is open from 3-9 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 3-10 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Meanwhile, Shade Winery is open from 4-9 p.m. Wednesday through Friday and noon to 9 p.m. on Saturdays.

Treat yourself to a sweet treat

Your birthday obviously cannot be complete without a sweet treat, and Athens has a lot of great places to grab one or two from. On Court Street, you can venture to Insomnia Cookies or Whit’s Frozen Custard, which offers desserts like ice cream sandwiches and sundaes and warm cookies. You can also go off campus to places like Larry’s Dawg House, Village Bakery and Café or even Tim Hortons if you want something else like a pastry. Other stores like Kroger and Walmart offer cakes to buy and share with friends, and you can’t go wrong with any of these options.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu