A shocking list of artists who have been snubbed by the Grammy Awards

Over the years, the Grammy Awards have become infamous for snubbing some of the music industry’s best artists, including the likes of Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj. Although many people don’t consider awards a true measure of talent in the industry, it is still shocking when great artists are not gifted with the deserved recognition.

On that note, here is a list of artists whom the Grammy Awards have snubbed: 

Katy Perry

Katy Perry is widely recognized as a timeless artist for her songs like “Teenage Dream” and “Hot N Cold.” However, the singer hasn’t won any Grammy Awards since her start in 2007. She has 13 Grammy nominations for albums like “Teenage Dream” (2010) and “PRISM,” (2013). Perry likely hasn’t won a category due to the highly competitive atmosphere in the 2010s for pop female artists. 

With big names alongside her like Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, Adele and Lady Gaga, the singer was competing against powerhouses at the time. Perry also has a distinct vocal range that is hard for other artists to pull off and hopefully, she will soon get the recognition she deserves for it.

Nicki Minaj

Nicki Minaj is another artist many can’t believe hasn’t won at least one Grammy Award. With 12 Grammy nominations over the last 13 years, the rapper has been beaten out in most of the rap categories by male rappers. However, she may make her comeback at the 66th Grammy Awards, as she is nominated for Best Rap Song and Best Song Written For Visual Media for “Barbie World (with Aqua).” 

While Minaj knows she has been snubbed, it has only helped her reinvent her sound. She even told GRAMMY.com, “Looking back now, I love that I was pushed to reinvent myself because when I sit back and I really look, I need hip-hop, and hip-hop needs me.”

Björk

Another snubbed artist is Björk, who has 16 Grammy nominations. For an artist as versatile, outspoken and experimental as the Icelandic singer, many music critics are upset to see that the artist has not received an award from The Recording Academy. Recently, Björk was nominated at this year’s 65th Grammy Awards for Best Alternative Album, which she has been nominated for 10 times in the last 10 years.

The singer has also gone outside of her comfort zone sonically to work with other artists. She recently collaborated with ROSALÍA on “Oral,” a song she wrote back in the 1990s but decided to hold onto until its pop sound came back into the mainstream.

Diana Ross

In her decades-long career, Diana Ross has never won a Grammy Award. However, the singer was awarded the Grammy’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012, which has also been given to artists like The Supremes, Nirvana and Talking Heads.

Ross received 13 Grammy nominations in 1964 for her song “Baby Love” with The Supremes and was nominated nearly every year from 1970 to 1982. This year, she was nominated for her first in 15 years for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album for her album “Thank You” at the 65th Grammy Awards.

Miley Cyrus

The Grammy Awards recently announced their nominees for next year’s ceremony on Nov. 10, and many fans were surprised to see Miley Cyrus’name in the major categories. The eight-time nominee has been nominated for several major categories this year despite being ignored by The Recording Academy since her album “Bangerz” (2013). Cyrus will potentially win her first Grammy Award for her album, “Endless Summer Vacation,” and its viral lead single, “Flowers.”

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu