Artist Spotlight: Mereki transports us to a world of fairy tales

Mereki is an indie Australian/English pop artist who creates music with a purpose. Her song, "In Everything," was released this year on her debut solo album, "Death of a Cloud." Last week, Mereki released a music video for this song, the drawn visual reminiscent of classic childhood fairy tales. 

Now based in the U.K., she first moved from her native Australia to the U.S., where she quickly found a home in the spiritually-minded creative community in Los Angeles. Collaborating with an impressive collection of producers, writers and musicians as she refined her songwriting and voice, she laid the foundations for what was to come.

In March 2023, Mereki's debut solo album, "Death of a Cloud," was released by BMG and her record label, BunBun Records. She blends the pop-feel with positive messaging and her signature ethereal, dreamy style. 

Before launching her solo career, Mereki collaborated with an impressive array of individuals, including Dan Nigro, Suki Waterhouse and Justin Raisen. She also performed as a featured vocalist for Flight Facilities' sold-out North American Tour. 

In 2016, Mereki created a clubhouse in Los Angeles focused on creating a space of kindness to support up-and-coming female artists. Mereki's Clubhouse motto, "Be Kind," grew into a non-profit of the same name. 

In 2017, Mereki released her "Beach" EP, a collection of four songs titled "French Kissing," "Got It All," "Friend Again" and "It Will." 

The creation of "Death of a Cloud" took seven years and crossed three continents. For this album, Mereki collaborated with only her most trusted artists and the individuals she believed could bring her deeply personal and intuitive material to life. 

"Death of a Cloud" has received praise from BillboardFLOOD and Atwood Magazine, among others. This year, Mereki also performed at the Glastonbury Festival in Somerset, England. 

Sharing the writing process of "In Everything," Mereki said, "I was bunny sitting for my friend Lizzy. It was just Harvey (the bunny) and I in her place in Silverlake near the reservoir, and she had this beautiful Wurlitzer in her apartment. I usually had roommates, so it was the first time I had felt properly alone in a while and I wanted to write about my dad, but I didn't want to write about losing him."

She continued, saying, "So instead, I wrote about all of the places that I get to find him now that he's not physically here anymore. I find him in rivers and lakes, underneath the waves and inside the night sky or on the glitter the sun makes when it kisses the water … inside the trees when their leaves dance in the breeze. That's where I first found him actually, after he went to the other side, inside the softest morning breeze, I'll never forget that."

The album examines the joy and difficulty of self-realization and finding the universe within. This album and its songs express her journey through music. 

Although "In Everything" is the first visually drawn music video Mereki has released, her songs "Presence," "Wake Up Dead," "Purple Moons," "The Garden," "Twin Flame," "Wasted Love" and "End Of The World" all have accompanying videos. They all exhibit the enchanting allure of fairy tales and reality, including the smallest of life's moments. 

Mereki draws inspiration from the natural world, which is evident in the "In Everything" music video created by Danny Sangra. Flashes of shooting stars, magical forests, blooming flowers and sparkling bodies of water give transcendental visuals to her song.

"In Everything" is charming, dreamy and mesmerizing. Anyone who enjoys music from Olivia Rodrigo or Goldroom will enjoy Mereki's newest album. 

@alexh0pkins

ah875121@ohio.edu