Students share Black Friday shopping tips

The holiday season is fast approaching, and the gift shopping needs to get done. Luckily, there is a built-in day where customers can shop smarter with the year's best deals– Black Friday.

According to the History Channel, "Black Friday" was coined in 1869 when the U.S. gold market crashed. Years later, in the 1950s, police used the same term to describe the chaos ensued when shoppers ran to stores the day after Thanksgiving.

On Black Friday, shoppers flock to stores to purchase gifts for themselves and loved ones. While the popularity of such an event can cause chaos, there are many ways to shop smart.

The first way to avoid the chaos is to shop from the comfort of home. There is nothing like sipping a cup of hot cocoa in pajamas while shopping for the best holiday deals online. According to Statista, 41% of U.S. shoppers prefer to shop online. Mackenzie Carr, a freshman studying journalism, prefers to stay home and shop online. 

"You just get the same sales for less chaos," she said.

However, some people enjoy the in-person shopping experience. This way, they can see what they're getting before purchasing it. Emaurice McKinney, a sophomore studying early childhood education, likes in-person shopping.

"I usually go to Easton in Columbus," she said. "I like to shop at Aerie, American Eagle and Altar'd State."

Some Ohio University students prefer to hit larger chain stores where they can get multiple items in one trip. Liam Feeny, a sophomore studying wildlife and conservation biology, practices this.

"The stuff that I want to buy is cheaper. So to save money, that's why I go," Feeny said. "I definitely go to the mall, but usually Walmart or Target."

One piece of advice for Black Friday shopping is to make a list. Many people make a list as if they were going to the grocery store, but knowing what to look for before scouring shelves and on-sale racks will make fulfilling shopping needs easier.

As much of a hassle it may be to get up, the earlier shoppers arrive at stores, the better. Items go fast, so people should take advantage of the store's earlier opening times.

With the rising popularity of shopping apps, many choose to download apps that offer even more deals. It is important to check out what deals are available for the best prices. 

Though it may seem cliché, many believe printing out any coupons that stores make available is also worthwhile. Many stores, such as Target and American Eagle, offer great sales for any holiday shopping needs.

While shopping, it is also important to consider who will receive the gifts. Some of the best gifts are useful or personalized to the individual's interest. Black Friday shopping is a great time to find affordable gifts for friends and family members.

"I do try to use that time to find gifts for friends and parents," said Carr.

These are just a few tips and tricks fellow students have to follow before participating in the Black Friday festivities. With patience and knowledge, Black Friday shopping can be a breeze. 

@AnnessSoph0415 

sa425522@gmail.com