Diving into some of the most iconic films from the last 15 years

By now, most of Generation Z has watched movies like “Pitch Perfect,” “Easy A,” “The Perks Of Being a Wallflower,” “Superbad” and “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.” These films contain relatable storylines and humorous characters and have become staples in this generation, as many people can lean on them for their emotional well-being.

As many of these movies were released within the last 10 years or so, let’s dive into what makes them so memorable after all this time:

“Pitch Perfect” (2012)

Within the last year, “Pitch Perfect” has resurfaced into the mainstream again simply for how funny it is. Starring well-known actors like Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Adam DeVine and Brittany Snow, the film gained traction at its release for its depiction of college a cappella and college life in general. Tying in witty lines with outspoken characters like Fat Amy and Bumper, the movie has now become a Gen Z favorite for its plot and dialogue. If you haven’t seen this movie at least 10 times by now, you’re probably missing out on one of the most timeless coming-of-age movies. “Pitch Perfect” will not leave you disappointed.

“Easy A” (2010)

Starring Emma Stone, “Easy A” follows her character as she decides to spread a lie throughout her high school about losing her virginity due to her lack of popularity. However, she doesn’t stop lying, especially as she gets more attention from the popular crowd. Becoming known for the wrong reasons, this movie is all about debunking the shame that comes with not being ready for sex and intimate relationships, which makes it utterly important for female-identifying viewers to see. A film that uses comedy and emotion to depict the awkwardness of being a teenage girl, “Easy A” remains an iconic film from this time period and into today because of its heartwarming themes of independence, making mistakes and owning your individuality.

“The Perks Of Being a Wallflower” (2012)

The 2012 film “The Perks Of Being a Wallflower,” is based on the novel by Stephen Chbosky. What makes this film so good after 11 years is its sense of nostalgia. Tackling diverse and difficult subject matter like dating and relationships, LGBTQIA+ issues and sexual assault, the film deserves more praise for its sensitivity and accurate depiction of these topics. With amazing acting by Logan Lerman, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller, the movie will bring you to tears for its emphasis on meaningful friendships. Also, it lets viewers know that it’s okay to be introspective and introverted and that the right people will find you in the end, which is extremely moving.

“Superbad” (2007)

While “Superbad” contains a lot of famous jokes and references, it also touches heavily on friendship and change. Following two high school seniors, played by Michael Cera and Jonah Hill, the film depicts the duo partaking in a crazy adventure as they prepare to attend their first high school party. From meeting crazy cops to filling up a laundry detergent container with alcohol, Cera and Hill create a hilarious and somewhat relatable representation of what it means to be naive and unapologetically yourself in high school. Also, the movie is simply notable for its wide range of characters like Fogell, aka McLovin, played by Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Officer Slater, played by Bill Hader. 

“Scott Pilgrim vs. the World” (2010)

“Scott Pilgrim vs. the World” is another movie from the last 15 years that has become beloved by not only fans of the comic book but Gen Z nerds, too. Starring Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim, Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Ramona Flowers and Aubrey Plaza as Julie Powers, the film had such an eccentric cast, with all of their characters working well together. Using Marvel-esque cinematography and scandalous humor, the movie caught viewers' attention for its play on romance and redemption as Cera tries to defeat all of Winstead’s ex-boyfriends. 

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu