From the Editor's Desk: The Post’s recent awards are due to fantastic staff

Among the peach-flavored iced tea and pecan pies, something else was sweet in Atlanta last week. I, along with seven other Posties, was lucky enough to visit Atlanta for the 2023 Fall College Media Association Conference, where we were awarded five ACP Best of Show awards.

At the conference, which hosted 290 schools and nearly 1,000 attendees, The Post walked away with 10th place for the best four-year newspaper/news magazine, seventh place for the best daily newsletter and sixth place for the best website. Photo staffer Jack Tatham won third place for sports photography and Staff Photographer Megan Van Vlack won first place in the news and feature photography category. Last year’s work also received recognition at the Pinnacle Awards, where Ashley Beach’s “On the Basis of Sex” received an honorable mention for best investigative sports story and Ryan Gryzbowski’s “Finding Faith” received second place for best coverage of faith. 

I would be remiss not to also congratulate The New Political, WOUB and Backdrop, all of whom also received recognition at the conference. Ohio University – specifically the E. W. Scripps School of Journalism – clearly generates good journalism.

As incredible as all the awards are, I am most floored by the success of this year’s Post staff. The Best of Show awards come from the period of August through early October, so it is entirely due to the dedication, talent and hard work of this year’s incredible staff. I am grateful and lucky to be working with such fantastic people. 

We had only five section and assistant editors of '22 return to their same positions from last year, so reaching national recognition with a fairly new staff is something each individual staffer should be proud of. Further, these awards and the work we have not could not be possible without the talents of each individual member of our staff. I am lucky to be addressing you on behalf of such a talented team, and their hard work pays off. Thank you, 2023-2024 Post staff. 

Katie Millard is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of  The Post. What are your thoughts? Tell Katie by tweeting her at @katie_millard11.

Katie Millard

Editor-in-Chief