A sign outside "The Pod" room in Schoonover Center at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, Oct. 20, 2023.

How to start your own podcast while in college

In college, it can be daunting for students to branch into multimedia opportunities, especially if they're a communications or journalism major. However, it's not as difficult as some may think to build your multimedia skills in college.

Podcasting is the perfect outlet to expand your skills, especially with the resources offered at Ohio University. If you're an aspiring podcaster, here is how to start your own podcast while in college:

Look into the podcasting certificate

The podcasting certificate at OU allows students to explore coursework relative to starting their own podcast. Open to all majors, it combines coursework from the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism and the School of Media Arts and Studies. In this certificate, students learn how to pitch a podcast series, use audio and recording equipment to record a podcast, interview sources and publish a podcast. 

Students must complete four core podcasting courses, including "Writing and Producing the Non-Fiction Podcast Series" and "Podcasting Series Production." They also must take one elective course, which can be any class from "Introduction to Mass Media" to "Principles and Techniques for Interviewing." Overall, it only requires five courses to earn the certificate, making it extremely easy to obtain over a year or two.

Join The Post's multimedia team!

At The Post, there are many ways to get involved in podcasting. You can participate in an individual or group podcast about any topic of your liking, giving you the flexibility to express your thoughts and passion for particular interests. Podcasts can also work with your schedule. Content can be published weekly, bi-weekly or even monthly.

You can find all of The Post's podcast series here, which are great sources of inspiration to help you find what podcast type would fit you best. 

Learn how to use audio and recording equipment

For beginners, it's important to know how to use at least some audio and recording equipment to ensure your podcast sounds professional. It may be hard to find time in college to sit down and learn something new, but there's many resources on campus to help you. 

For one, you can visit the Academic Achievement Center on the second floor of Alden Library and sign up for multimedia tutoring, or stop in on the second floor's multimedia center. At both of these locations, you can work with a multimedia tutor about anything you wish, especially if you want to learn how to use applications such as Adobe Audition. 

Students can also contact Heaven Koppelkom, the multimedia peer tutor supervisor, to schedule an appointment and learn more about multimedia tutoring. Tutoring services are available from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Friday.

Start listening to other podcasts

It's equally as important to listen to other podcasts to gauge the kind of audience you want to attract, as well as what you want to talk about. Whether it's a crime, music or news podcast, by expanding your palate, you will find more inspiration on what to create in the future. Also, it's important to ask yourself how you want to display your podcast. Some creators only publish audio content, while others like to have a video to go alongside it. See what others are doing online, and ask yourself what direction you want to take your podcast in.

Podcasts are available practically everywhere online, including on platforms such as Spotify, Apple Podcasts, YouTube and Audible, so go check some out to observe how creators produce, interact with sources and use ambient sounds. 

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu