A look back on the many eras of Harry Styles’ hair

Harry Styles sent fans spiraling last Thursday with an Instagram post on his brand Pleasing’s account, revealing his new buzzcut. The heartthrob has become a household name for his hair just as much as his music, a known fact that caused fans to go into a frenzy.

From his boyband days to his rockstar status, Styles’ hair has undergone some changes. In memory of his recently buzzed-off hair, here’s a comprehensive look at the many hairstyles of Harry Styles. 

The X-Factor” days (2010-2011)

In 2010, 17-year-old Harry Styles piloted his career on the British competition show, “The X-Factor.” Right off the bat, Styles’ shaggy cut made teenage viewers swoon and when he joined his boyband counterparts, many favored him for his effortless curls.

The shag (2012)

In 2012, One Direction thrived with the release of its first two albums, “Up All Night” and “Take Me Home,” along with Styles’ hair in a grown-out, more styled version of his original curls, which swoop outward in this phase. 

Frat boy Harry” (2013)

2013 marked the first major hair change for Styles’ hair when he opted for a more slicked-back look. This hair accompanied the release of the band’s third album, “Midnight Memories,” and the Take Me Home Tour. As the band gained global success, Styles embraced a more mature, rebellious image with this look, hence the fanmade nickname for the era. 

The bandana (2014)

In 2014, One Direction released yet another album, “FOUR,” and kicked off the Where We Are Tour. For much of the tour, Styles accessorized with bandanas to keep his hair out of his face. 

Prince hair Harry” (2014)

2014 was a big year for Styles’ precious hair. In the latter half of the year, he styled his medium-length hair like a prince, according to fans, by slicking it back and adding an elegant poof-like shape to the top. This style was amidst his phase of low-cut patterned shirts and boots, marking the beginning of his sense of style showing through. 

Long hair Harry” (2015)

In 2015, One Direction released their final album, “Made In The A.M.,” and Styles’ fashion sense was in full swing. During the On the Road Again Tour,” Styles embraced his inner rockstar with shoulder-length curls. 

Dunkirk” Harry (2016-2017)

With One Direction on a “hiatus,” Styles began to explore opportunities in his career. In 2016, he was offered a role in “Dunkirk,” and cut off his luscious locks to begin his career in acting. In 2017, Styles debuted a soft-rock self-titled solo album with the same hairstyle. 

Harry Styles: Live on Tour” (2017-2018)

Following the release of his album, Styles dedicated much of 2017 and 2018 to performing his music live on tour. During this era, Styles’ hair was similar to his roots, with short hair and floppy curls. During this phase, the star also swapped out his patterned shirts and jeans for patterned suits, silk shirts and pleated pants. 

Fine Line” (2019-2020)

The end of 2019 marked the release of Styles’ second solo album, “Fine Line,” a collection of upbeat songs with colorful album art, and the announcement of Love On Tour. During this era, Styles embraced bright colors like hot pink and more eccentric clothing choices than ever before. He also donned his now famous love for high-waisted pants, while his hair was kept short, floppy and a little less tame than before.

Love On Tour” (2021-2023) 

For most of 2021 to 2023, Styles was occupied with Love On Tour, where his hair, while varying slightly throughout, stayed short and messy. During this time, Styles released another album, “Harry’s House,” and fully embraced his eccentric fashion sense through funky patterns, strange pieces and clothing that broke gender norms. 

In 2022, Styles also starred in two films, “Don’t Worry Darling and “My Policeman in which he wore his hair neatly combed back or styled. However, these hairstyles did not affect his preferred messy look off-screen. 

The buzzcut (2023)

Finally, Harry Styles’ hair journey is taking an unexpected turn with his recent decision to shave his head. Although his hair will be missed, no haircut can make Harry Styles look bad. 

kenziecake8

kc389422@ohio.edu