Ohio University sophomore Xander Danner (25) gets ready to fight for the puck against Bowling Green University in Bird Arena, Oct.14, 2023.

DII Hockey: Ohio splits the Battle of the Bricks series with a win at Miami

Ohio managed a victory against Miami in Oxford Saturday night to tie the series at one win apiece.

After a tough loss at home Friday, the Bobcats got out to a hot start offensively, going up 2-0 by the end of the first period. Their first goal came with 13:10 left in the first and was scored by Junior defenseman Ethan Tamborski. Junior forward Nick Ventura doubled the Ohio lead after an assist from Sophomore forward Ryley Scanlon with 6:40 to go in the first.

These two early goals helped set the tone for the following two periods, where Ohio controlled a majority of the match.

Miami responded early in the second period, cutting the Ohio lead to one. However, the Bobcats quickly answered with a goal from forward Xander Danner in a one-on-one opportunity with the RedHawks' goalie as 16:00 remained in the second period. 

The game would remain scoreless for the remainder of the second period, going into the third with a score of 3-1 in favor of Ohio.

Miami put up a tough fight in the third period, continuing to attack Ohio in hopes of evening the score. About halfway through the third, the RedHawks scored again, cutting the lead to 3-2 with 10:53 remaining. However, Ohio continued to battle to the final buzzer, escaping with a narrow victory against its rival.

This result was much needed for Ohio after a hard-fought 4-2 loss at home to Miami the night before. The team remained resilient and ultimately came through with an impressive win to split the two-game series.

da160519@ohio.edu