Caroline Clippard (15), Leah Rogers (10), and Sam Steele (13) on Ohio University's Volleyball team celebrate after a big point at The Convo in Athens Ohio, Oct. 14, 2023

Volleyball: All you need to know for Central Michigan

Ohio (15-12, 10-5 Mid-American Conference) will face off against Central Michigan (14-13, 8-7 MAC) in a two-game series that has major implications on how the MAC will shape up come playoff time in two weeks.

Ohio will look to solidify and potentially improve its position in the MAC as it currently sits fourth overall in the conference, being only one game back of Ball State.

It is important to note that Ball State holds the tiebreaker as it beat Ohio earlier in the season. Ohio must win its final three games for any chance at a better seed in the MAC tournament.

Central Michigan is currently on the outside looking in, although it is tied for sixth in the conference. Bowling Green holds the tiebreaker over Central Michigan despite beating it earlier in the season due to its overall record.

Central Michigan has been red hot recently, winning its past six bouts against MAC foes and holding a favorable 8-1 record at home. Ohio, however, isn’t 8-1 on the road but it has played above average on the road with a record of 5-4. 

Match Information:

Match 1: 

Time: Friday, Nov. 10th, 6 p.m.

Location: Mount Pleasant, Michigan

Match 2:

Time: Saturday, Nov. 11th, 4 p.m.

Location: Mount Pleasant, Michigan

History: 

Central Michigan is a team Ohio has played well recently. This will be Ohio’s 13th meeting with Central since 2010, where Ohio has dominated the series 9-4. Ohio is also currently on a three-game winning streak with its most recent match seeing the Bobcats sweeping the Chippewas in Mount Plesant, MI.

Player to Watch: Claire Ammeraal

Despite being a sophomore, Ammeraal has been a force to be reckoned with. For the Chippewas, she is tied for first in sets played, fifth in kills, fourth in service aces and has an average of nine assists per set.

Ohio will have to plan around this jack-of-all-trades if it has hopes of improving its spot in the MAC standings with only three games left in the season.

me989022@ohio.edu