Ohio University guard Madi Mace (3) drives toward the basket against Dayton University at the Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio, Nov. 16, 2023.

Women's Basketball: Ohio looks to get above .500 against Morehead State

Ohio (1-1) got a big win in their home opener against Dayton this past Thursday. The Bobcats sent Dayton home with a final score of 67-61. Now, Ohio is back on the road with 1-3 Morehead State on the horizon.

Here’s everything you need to know ahead of the matchup.

Game Information

Opponent: Morehead State (1-3)

Time: Wednesday at 1 p.m.

Location: Ellis T. Johnson Arena (Morehead, Kentucky)

How to Watch: ESPN+

Follow live stats here

Meet the Opponent

Head Coach: Cayla Petree (third season)

Probable Starters:

#0 Veronica Charles

#11 Jayden Rhodes

#20 Melissa Secchiaroli

#32 Mikaela Hall

#33 Katie Novik

Statistical Leaders

Points: Charles (13.5 per game)

Rebounds: Blessing King (7.8 per game)

Assists: Novik (6.3 per game)

Steals: Charles (2.0 per game)

Blocks: Rhodes (1.3 per game)

Field Goal Percentage: King (.667)

Three Point Percentage: Hallie Rhodes (.500)

Free Throw Percentage:

Morehead State Notes

While the Eagles have gotten off to a less-than-desirable start at 1-3, there is hope for this young team. They dropped their first game of the season to No. 23 Illinois, and then had their second game of the season against Wilberforce (OH) canceled. With no chance to build momentum heading into their matchup against the then 2-0 Alabama, who had already recorded victories of 54 points and 29 points – they were punished with yet another blowout. They then lost a close one on the road to Lipscomb before heading back home and securing a 52-point win against Midway (KY).

In terms of play style, the Eagles are unafraid to let it fly from outside. They are shooting and making the 25th most threes in the country, knocking them down at a near 35% clip, leading to them having a near top-150 offense in the nation. Keeping Morehead State from getting hot from three is going to be key for Ohio. Against Dayton, they were allowed to sag off shooters, but that won’t be the case against this team. The team also ranks in the top 50 nationally in offensive rebounds. per game, so preventing extra possessions will help Ohio en route to a win.

Player to Watch: Katie Novik

The 5-foot-9-inch freshman guard is the team’s leading distributor and a factor when it comes to scoring the ball. Her 6.3 assists per game is more than twice the Bobcats' leader in the same category. 

Additionally, Novik is the team’s fourth-leading scorer and has been efficient in doing so. As it stands leading into the game, Novik is a 40% three-point shooter and not someone you want to leave open. However, close out too hard and she can burn you with her passing. Preventing her from getting going means slowing down Morehead State’s offense.

The Numbers Game

When looking at a matchup, a few key statistical differences can do a lot to show the differences between the two teams facing off. Here are a few of those potentially game-determining statistical differences.

Three Point Attempts: Ohio (20.5 per game), Morehead State (26.8 per game)

Turnovers: Ohio (25.5 per game), Morehead State (19.8 per game)

Offensive Rebounds: Ohio (7.0 per game), Morehead State (15.8 per game)

Three Point Percentage: Ohio (.390), Morehead State (.346)

Steals: Ohio (15.0 per game) Morehead State (7.8 per game)

@LoganA_NBA