Kickin’ with Kyra: What made Chandler Bing an amazing character?

Oct. 28, a comedic actor and friend passed away. Matthew Perry brought joy to many people's homes. He wanted to be remembered for how much he helped others, but he helped me through his acting. “Friends” got me through middle school and it has been my favorite show since seventh grade. In order to celebrate Perry, aka Chandler Bing, I wanted to reflect on some of Chandler’s best moments and what made him such a wonderful character.

If you have seen “Friends, ” then you know that Chandler is a sarcastic person who makes jokes at any given moment. One of his most famous moments is when he says, “I’m not great at the advice. Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?” This quote definitely captures who he is, or rather who he thinks he is. Chandler has many great moments that can make anyone laugh, but he is also a wholesome character who cares for everyone.

Chandler’s jokes are not his only good moments. His relationship with his friends also makes him a very special character. Monica and Chandler’s relationship is beautiful and demonstrates how great a partner he is. The way their relationship began at Ross’s wedding was shocking and their chemistry only grew from there. Chandler isn’t just a great friend, but an amazing husband who always stands up for Monica.

Chandler and Joey Tribbiani’s friendship is unmatched. They did almost everything together and were hilarious roommates. In season 2, episode 15, the two best friends spend the whole day refusing to get up from their recliners. This episode really put into perspective how much they could be together without actually really doing anything at all. They could sit, eat and watch TV and have a great time together. Even when they argued, it was amazing. In the episode titled “The One Where No One’s Ready,” they spend a lot of the episode fighting over a chair. Chandler takes Joey's underwear and then, in retaliation, Joey puts on all of Chandler’s clothes and mimics how he talks. Their friendship was special in the sense that even when they argued, it was loving and funny.

You can visually see in the show when Matthew Perry is struggling outside of “Friends.” There were changes in his appearance due to his battle with addiction. The fact that he was struggling so much and still made the world laugh demonstrated just how strong he was. Eventually, he came out the other side and was even able to help others through similar experiences.

Perry’s death is devastating and he will be greatly missed. Whether it was through his jokes or advocacy for those struggling with addiction, He helped a lot of people, both as a person and a character. Chandler Bing and Perry will be missed for all the love they both brought to the world.

Kyra Dapore is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Kyra know by emailing her at kd364521@ohio.edu