Predictions for the 75th Primetime Emmy Awards

Jan. 15, 2024, the 75th Primetime Emmy Awards will take place at the Peacock Theater in Los Angeles. The ceremony’s nominations were announced on July 12, and the show was originally set for September 2023. However, the show was postponed due to the SAG-AFTRA and Writers Guild of America strikes in Hollywood.

With a line-up of new faces and returning projects, the upcoming ceremony is sure to be highly competitive. So, let’s take a look at some predictions of who will take home an Emmy award.

Outstanding Comedy Series

Predicted Winner: “Abbott Elementary”

The “Outstanding Comedy Series” category may be full of popular names, such as “The Bear,” “Wednesday” and “Ted Lasso,” but one show has managed to inch its way to the top. “Abbott Elementary,” the Quinta Brunson-led and created mockumentary show, could snag its first category win for Outstanding Comedy Series. 

Since the premiere of its first season, the show has garnered critical acclaim and numerous accolades at various award shows. For season 2, the episode count for the show increased from 13 to 22. 

That increase, and the show’s greater number of Emmy nominations for its second season, could translate into a well-deserved win for this timely series tackling the inner workings of an underfunded predominantly Black school in Philadelphia.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

Predicted Winners: Jeremy Allen White in “The Bear”

One of the biggest hit shows of the decade so far has been Hulu’s chaotic kitchen dramedy, “The Bear.” Starring breakout stars like Jeremy Allen White and Ayo Edebiri, “The Bear” has been loved by fans and even scored 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

With all of this adoration in the show’s corner, it is no surprise to see the show’s lead, Jeremy Allen White, as the top contender for the Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series prize. 

White has already earned a Screen Actors Guild, Golden Globe and Critic’s Choice award for his role, so an Emmy would be a welcome addition to this collection of awards.

Outstanding Drama Series

Predicted Winner: “Succession”

Despite competing with other series like “The White Lotus,” “Andor,” “The Last of Us” and “House of the Dragon,” HBO’s “Succession” is the clear front-runner for the “Outstanding Drama Series” category. 

Reactions to the fourth and final season of the satirical drama were frequent on Twitter during each episode’s release, as fans became invested in the Roy family’s attempts to control their empire. The show is a clear hit and will most likely earn its third win in this category for its acclaim.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Predicted Winners: Sarah Snook in “Succession”

This year’s “Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series” category is stacked with huge names and breakout stars. Returning performers such as Elisabeth Moss for “The Handmaid’s Tale” and Melanie Lynskey for “Yellowjackets” are up against fresh talent like Bella Ramsey for “The Last of Us.” While the competition is incredibly stiff, the “Succession” star Sarah Snook is the lead front-runner for the competitive award.

According to the awards prediction site Gold Derby, Snook’s odds of taking home the “Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series” Emmy are high. Editors at the site unanimously agree on Snook’s positive odds of taking home the accolade, and so do many viewers of the show’s final season.

Even though Ramsey and Lynskey could upset the expert predictions, viewers should be prepared for somewhat of a “Succession” sweep due to the show’s 27 nominations at the year’s Primetime Emmys.

Outstanding Limited or Anthology Series

Predicted Winner: “Beef”

The final entry of these predictions may see a battle between two of Netflix’s biggest exclusives of the last year. The co-A24 produced “Beef” and Ryan Murphy’s co-created “Dahmer — Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story” series are vying for the top prize in the “Outstanding Limited or Anthology Series” category. However, it seems like Steven Yeun and Ali Wong’s road rage–induced feud may lead to an Emmy win for the series.

With 10 episodes and love for the show’s overall quality, “Beef” secured five nominations at the 75th Primetime Emmys and two nominations at the 75th Creative Arts Emmys. 

According to NBC News, the warm reception of the show earned it the title of “one of the best shows of the year.” On Metacritic, “Beef” earned an 86, translating to “universal acclaim.”

The outpouring of support for the freshly inventive limited series could make for the perfect serving of an Outstanding Limited or Anthology Series award at the year’s Emmys.

tb222023@ohio.edu