5 musical artists resurrecting the “old soul”

Soul music is a genre that originated in the late 1950s and early 1960s and is rooted in the Black community through traditional gospel and R&B. Record labels such as Motown, Vee-Jay and Philadelphia International became staples in soul music for many artists and bands back in the day. Artists such as Stevie Wonder, Al Green, James Brown and Aretha Franklin are iconic inspirations for newer artists in the genre. Old sounds are back to soothe the spirits of everyone.

Here are five artists who are bringing the old into the new:

Thee Sacred Souls

The trio from San Diego leads lovers into lyrics and beats of the ‘60s and ‘70s, often described as “Chicano soul.” This trio includes lead singer, Josh Lane, bassist, Sal Samano and drummer, Alex Garcia.

Thee Sacred Souls became a name in April 2019. They started their journey to success by performing in small clubs in San Diego. For them, the first time is the only time they need to get to the top. 

In 2020, they released two singles titled “Can I Call You Rose?” and “Weak For Your Love.” These two songs received a great deal of love from artists such as Timbaland, Alicia Keys, Mac Ayres and Gary Clark Jr.

In August 2022, the band released its self-titled debut album, “Thee Sacred Souls.” Many of the songs are about living a life full of humanity and adoration. Songs like “Future Lover” and “Overflowing” bring the listener into the mindset of a person finding a place to pour love. Whether that be another person or a thing. 

Thee Sacred Souls hold a light in the soul revival. With falsettos and smooth instrumentals, their music captures the attention of people of any age. With over 2 million monthly listeners on Spotify, they have made a name for themselves.

Durand Jones & The Indications

This group has been around for a little over a decade. Forming in 2012 in Indiana, Durand Jones & The Indications bring soul to the Midwest. 

While studying at Indiana University’s School of Music in the early 2010s, friends Blake Rhein and Aaron Frazer developed a relationship with Durand Jones. Jones is originally from Louisiana and was completing postgraduate studies for classical saxophone in Indiana.

The group’s fame was taken to the streets of the U.S. and across the water after the release of its self-titled debut album in 2016. One song that captured the attention of many was “Is It Any Wonder.” The vocals of Durand Jones, drums of Aaron Frazer, guitar of Blake Rhein, keyboard/organ of Steve Okonski and bass of Michael Montgomery make this song velvety and pleasant to listen to.

Durand Jones & The Indications released “American Love Call” in 2019 and “Private Space” in 2021. As listeners go through their discography, we can hear the slight changes in each album. Soul is still there but funk begins to enter the space more. 

Watching their success and even individual band members release solo music has been a joy. They deserve a huge round of applause for leading the return of soul. 

Samara Joy

At only 24 years old, the Bronx native and modern-day Sarah Vaughan, Samara Joy has made a name for herself in soul and jazz. 

Joy grew up with gospel and Motown artists since she was young. Her grandfather, Elder Goldwire McLendon, was a finalist on BET’s talent show, Sunday Best. After attending a performing arts school and winning Best Vocalist, she was bound to succeed and be noticed by producers. 

She began working with producer, Matt Pierson, and recorded her first album while in college.

In 2021, she released her self-titled debut album with Whirlwind Records. She has toured sold-out shows in Europe and the U.S. audiences have realized that Samara Joy has brought old jazz to a new light.

In 2022, she released an album titled “Linger Awhile” with Verve Records. This album gained new listeners due to a few covers she recorded. Those include “Misty,” originally sung by Dakota Staton in 1957, “Round Midnight,” composed by Thelonius Monk in 1943 and “Can’t Get Out Of This Mood,” which was popularized by Nina Simone.

Samara Joy received two Grammy’s in 2022 for Best New Artist and Best Jazz Vocal Album for “Linger Awhile.” 

Her voice reminds people of nostalgic days and simplicity. Watching her grow from the beginning has been an excellent sight. She will be a household name in the soul revival with all eyes on her. 

Leon Bridges

Southern soul has made its return. Born in Georgia and raised in Texas, Leon Bridges keeps the wheels turning and serves as an inspiration for new soul musicians. 

Bridges started his career on a soulful path. While working in Fort Worth, Texas, he played at several open mics. His first official song “Coming Home” brought in a fresh audience wanting to hear vintage sounds in the modern day. The song led to his signing with Columbia Records in 2014. 

By simply releasing a song on SoundCloud, Bridges was highlighted in the music industry early.

In 2015, Bridges released his debut album “Coming Home.” It charted at number six on Billboard and was nominated for a Grammy in 2016 for Best R&B Album. It featured mature and classic songs such as “Lisa Sawyer,” written about his mother, “Better Man” and “Smooth Sallin.”

One song that gained him new fans in 2020 was “Texas Sun.” It featured Bridges on the vocals and the psychedelic rock trio, “Khruangbin.” It’s a love song to the Lone Star State. Bridges’ voice adds a seasoned sound to the story of Texas in a beautiful light. 

In 2018, Bridges released his second album “Good Thing.” It received RIAA Gold. And in 2021, he released his third album “Gold Diggers Sound.” 

Leon Bridges is a voice that has a twang of Southern soul. His music brings listeners of all ages to savor a new but old-fashioned sound. His success is deserved and his growth should continue to climb.

The Altons

This rock-soul group truly adds energy and a Latin sound to its music. Originating in Maywood, California, The Altons has the flare of West Coast soul. 

With the lead vocals of Bryan Ponce, female vocals of Adriana Flores, swinging guitar riffs of Joseph Quinones, simple bass of Gabriel Maldonado and drums of Carlos Canovas, this group is underrated in the soul revival.

In 2016, The Altons released their first self-titled EP “The Altons.” This EP contains songs that are bright and sunny with vintage swing. Their debut song “Take a Look” is featured on the EP. 

Every band member grew up in different parts of Los Angeles, and their stories can be heard on their debut album “In The Meantime.” It was released in 2019, and like Thee Sacred Souls, it has the “Chicano soul” sound as well. Their soulful melodies and guitar with drum and bass bring listeners on a ride through the mind, body and soul. 

The Altons captured the attention of Daptone Records which led to the start of Penrose Records. Their love for locals is what brought an audience of lovers of retro and indie sounds. In 2020, they released a single “When You Go (That’s When I’ll Know)” with Penrose Records. It currently has over 3 million streams on Spotify. In 2021, they released three more singles titled “Over and Over,” “Tangled Up in You” and “Soon Enough.”

Soul music is for everyone. It brings a sense of harmony and neutrality through old-school melodies, live musicians and storytelling. New soul is made to be seen and heard for all and by all. Listen to these artists and allow yourself to be immersed in the sounds for dreamers and lovers. 

@kidcalledjess

jg723322@ohio.edu