Actor Spotlight: Jacob Elordi is Hollywood’s current heartthrob

Jacob Elordi is known for playing the All-American teenager in his roles as Nate Jacobs and Noah Flynn. Yet, he is deviating from this typecast and taking on more serious roles to expand his acting repertoire. 

Elordi's on-screen career began in 2017 when he played an uncredited extra in "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales." This was Elordi's first time on a movie set, where he worked alongside stars like Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom. 

His full-fledged acting debut with a credited role came with the 2018 Australian film, "Swinging Safari," where Elordi depicted the character Rooster in a cast that featured popular Australian actors Guy Pearce and Kylie Minogue. 

In 2019, Elordi took a leap of faith and moved from Australia to Los Angeles. In between gigs, Elordi briefly lived in a car, struggling to find work.

"I wasn't booking jobs," he told GQ. "I think I had, I don't know, $400 to $800 left in my bank account, and 'Euphoria' was my last audition before I went home for a little while to make some money and recuperate."

Elordi's initial claim to fame can be attributed to his role as Noah Flynn in the hit Netflix franchise, "The Kissing Booth." Despite its poor rating of 17% on Rotten Tomatoes, "The Kissing Booth" franchise was popular among teenage populations and viewership was extremely high. 

Ted Sarandos, chief content officer at Netflix, said it was "one of the most-watched movies in the country, and maybe in the world."

Elordi reprised his role for  "The Kissing Booth 2" and "The Kissing Booth 3," earning 27% and 24% on Rotten Tomatoes, respectively. 

Elordi's public relationship with his co-star Joey King brought him further into the public eye. Many people were invested in their relationship on and off screen until the breakup in 2018. 

While "The Kissing Booth" movies paved the path to Elordi's success, he has since moved on from teenage rom-coms, seeking to pursue more serious roles. 

"I didn't want to make those movies before I made those movies," Elordi said in his interview with GQ. "Those movies are ridiculous. They're not universal. They're an escape."

Since "The Kissing Booth," Elordi has been involved in various projects that showcase his acting range. He starred in the 2019 HBO drama series "Euphoria," in which he portrayed Nate Jacobs, a complex and troubled teen who often exhibits toxic and manipulative behaviors. Elordi's acting prowess was shown through this role and led him to work even more intense roles.

Elordi recently starred in "Priscilla" and "Saltburn," both highly anticipated releases of 2023. 

Sofia Coppola's "Priscilla," stars Cailee Spaeny as Priscilla Presley and Elordi as Elvis Presley, who have an undeniable chemistry. Elordi's depiction of Elvis is natural and believable, showing a darker side to Elvis' legacy. 

Emerald Fennell's "Saltburn" hit theaters on Nov. 17. It is a twisted story of a homoerotic friendship between Oliver (Barry Keogan) and Felix (Jacob Elordi). The shocking nature of the film has sparked discourse online, and it seems like "Saltburn" has reached every corner of social media. 

Jacob Elordi continues to prove he can take on diverse roles across multiple genres, each part adding to his eclectic filmography. He is not just a pretty face, he is a standout actor dominating the field. 

@camiseymore

ch525822@ohio.edu