Kim Kardashian’s most memorable moments prove legacy

The Kardashian-Jenner family shows “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” and “The Kardashians” have consistently been a point of controversy in the media. Kim Kardashian is no stranger to the public eye and has had many influential and controversial moments both in public and on the show. Let’s take a look at some of her best moments in pop culture. 

Kim’s diamond earring

Many people love to talk about this quotable moment from “Keeping Up With the Kardashians.” During the first minutes of Season Six, Episode 11 of the show, Kim gets thrown into the ocean by her then-boyfriend Kris Humpries, causing her to lose one of her brand-new $75,000 earrings.

Many memorable moments came out of this two-minute clip in Bora Bora. Kim’s “ugly crying” face becomes a meme on the internet, and when Kim tells her sister Kourtney what happened, Kourtney delivers the hilarious one-liner, "Kim, there's people that are dying." 

Then, Kim’s younger sister, Kylie Jenner, heroically finds the missing earring. It almost leaves audiences wondering, “Why wear diamond earrings to the ocean in the first place?” 

Any Met Gala look

Over the years, The Kardashians have always brought their game when dressing up for The Met Gala. Kim’s looks are known to be spotlight stealers in both good and bad ways. 

In 2019, Kim wore a gorgeous look that made her look like she had just taken a dip in the ocean. The latex dress with crystal water droplets left viewers in awe of the outfit. The dress lived up to the theme that year — “Camp: Notes on Fashion.”

More recently, in 2022, she wore a look that stirred up controversy in the fashion industry. She was granted permission to wear Marilyn Monroe’s iconic “Happy Birthday Mr. President” dress. The dress had been preserved in a controlled environment for years. Though Kardashian wore the dress for a matter of minutes, the dress was reportedly permanently damaged. 

Kim’s “Saturday Night Live” premiere as a host

When Kardashian was asked to host an episode of “Saturday Night Live,” she was not sure she would be funny enough; however, she quickly proved herself – and the rest of the world – wrong. She began by delivering a hilarious monologue with jokes about her family members and comments on her divorce from Kanye West.

One quote from her monologue that warranted some laughs from the crowd was, “I’m so used to having 360 million followers watching my every move. And I mean, how many people watch SNL, like 10 million? So tonight’s just a chill, intimate night for me.”

She then delivered some hilarious “SNL” skits. “The Dream Guy” featured many famous figures, including Jesse Williams and John Cena. In “The People’s Kourt,” Kardashian impersonated her sister Kourtney as a judge, and it featured guest appearances from Kris Jenner and Khloé Kardashian. 

The episode made headlines, especially for the monologue Kardashian gave at the start of the show. This also sparked her highly publicized relationship with Pete Davidson. In all this made it an unforgettable episode in contemporary SNL history.

Kim’s selfies

During an early episode of “Keeping Up With the Kardashians,” Khloé got a DUI, and her family had to bail her out of jail. On the way to get Khloé, Kim is in the car with her family taking selfies. 

Kris Jenner, distraught that one of her daughters was in jail, scolded Kim for taking selfies on the car ride to the police station. Jenner then delivered the line, “Kim, would you stop taking pictures of yourself? Your sister’s going to jail.”

The Kardashians have no shortage of memorable pop culture moments. The list goes on. More moments can be found in “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” on Peacock and “The Kardashians” on Hulu.

@sophia_isabella0415

sa425522@ohio.edu