Ohio's Joe Pergolizzi attempts to break away from Virginia Tech defenders during a game at Bird Arena on November 11.

DII Hockey: Ohio’s defense excels, but offensive opportunities fall short

Ohio dropped its first game of the weekend against Indiana 3-1. Indiana came into Friday night’s matchup with a 17-2 record. The Hoosiers were dominant last season and have continued to be this season as well.

The Bobcats’ defense did a good job of limiting the damage caused by the Hoosiers. Indiana averages over five goals per game this season. Ohio kept Indiana to just one goal until early in the third period. Indiana freshman Colin Ruffner found the net off of an assist from Ben Rosenberg. Rosenberg leads his team in points (27)  and assists (18) this season.

The Hoosiers showed just an ounce of the offensive dominance that they have displayed all season long. Indiana passed the puck with ease throughout the game. Ohio slowed down this dominant team but fell short of overcoming their offensive brilliance. 

You can’t win a game if you don’t score though. Ohio had plenty of offensive opportunities but only managed to execute on one. Salvatore Poggiali scored with 9:37 remaining in the third period. Peyton Botich and Nolan Herubin would be credited with the first and second assists, respectively. That would spark some life back into the Bobcats, but nothing would come of it. 

Indiana would score on a power play with 4:37 remaining in the third and that would all but put the game away. Ohio matched up well against this well-rounded, tough Indiana squad. 

If the Bobcats want to win Saturday they’ll have to start putting the puck in the net. Indiana goalie Sammy Bilis came into Friday night’s game with 328 saves on the season. The Bobcats will have to find a way past him to win. With countless shots on goal, it’s only a matter of time before shots start going in.

@tysonbernath