Ohio University sophomore Xander Danner (25) fights for the puck against Bowling Green University in Bird Ice Arena Oct.14, 2023.

DII Hockey: Ohio defeats Indiana by a Score of 4 to 2

The Bobcats split the weekend game series 1-1 with the Hoosiers

Ohio (10-4-0) ended the two-game weekend series with a win over the Hoosiers (18-3,-0) the final score being 4-2.

After a disappointing loss on Friday against the Hoosiers, the Bobcats took the opportunities they were given and left the weekend series against the Hoosiers with a 1-1 record.

The Bobcats jumped out to a quick start against the Hoosiers with a goal courtesy of forward, Brennan Walker, assisted by winger, Ryley Scanlon, with 14:28 on the clock in the first period. The Bobcats held onto the lead for the rest of the first period and cruised into the second period with the team playing great defense and preventing any counter-offense from a high-scoring Hoosiers offense.

The second period got off to a slow start, but Indiana managed to even the score thanks to winger, Stevie Wheatley, who was assisted by forward, Patrick Brandeburg and winger Ian Smith, with 17:44 left in the period. The fireworks did not end there, though. Ohio managed to regain the lead with a score from forward, Nick Ventura, assisted by defenseman, Vinny Rengel, with 6:11 left in the period. Ohio could have easily run up the score here, as it had many opportunities to score that were thwarted by the Indiana defense. Ohio was once again able to leave the period with a lead and advantage over Indiana.

The third period is where the game was anyone's to win, as both teams started becoming chippier and both teams had many chances to score but could not connect with the back of the net. Then, with 10:36 left in the period, the Hoosiers tied the game. The goal was scored by Brandeburg, which was assisted by forward Aidan Simoneau and forward Ithan DeLorenzo. The Bobcats did not let this goal go unanswered, though, as they marched down the rink and scored a goal 55 seconds later, courtesy of defenseman, Ethan Tamborski.

Indiana could not answer back as the clock dwindled. In desperation, the Hoosiers took out their goalie and put in an extra offensive player, going all in on scoring a goal to tie the game up. Ohio took advantage of the empty net as the team went right up to the net and winger, Nick Coward smoothly hit it in, all but sealing the game for the Bobcats.

After this convincing victory, coach Zach Hill looks forward to his team continuing to perform like this in the coming games.

" Stay to our structure stay to our systems... we can beat any team that we face," Coach Hill said.

The only negative for Ohio in this game was penalties, as it had five. Coach Hill still was not worried, though, as the team showed it could persevere through it.

"Overall, I'm pretty confident about the PK group," Coach Hill said.

With this big victory over an Indiana team averaging over five scores a game coming into this weekend, the Bobcats look to continue to push that momentum next weekend.

bg326422@ohio.edu