Ohio University guard Jaya McClure (0) defends a Dayton player at the Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio, Nov. 16, 2023.

Women’s Basketball: Ohio looks to rally against Syracuse

Ohio (2-4) dropped its last game in dominant fashion against No. 12 Ohio State (7-1), losing with a final score of 85-45. Now, with Mid-American Conference play looming closer and closer, Ohio faces its next biggest nonconference test against another single-loss team: Syracuse (7-1).

Here’s everything you need to know ahead of the game:

Game Information

Opponent: Syracuse (7-1)

Time: Saturday at 1 p.m.

Location: The Convo (Athens)

How to Watch: ESPN+

Follow live stats here

Meet the Opponent

Head Coach: Felisha Legette-Jack (second season)

Projected Starters:

#02 Dyaisha Fair

#05 Georgia Woolley

#23 Alyssa Latham

#25 Alaina Rice

#34 Izabel Varejao

Statistical Leaders

Points: Fair (18.4 per game)

Rebounds: Latham (8.4 per game)

Assists: Woolley (4.8 per game)

Steals: Woolley (2.4 per game)

Blocks: Latham (1.8 per game)

Field Goal Percentage: Saniaa Wilson (.696)

Three-Point Percentage: Rice (.545)

Free Throw Percentage: Woolley (1.000)

Syracuse Notes

Syracuse’s performance thus far is predicated on how it turns defense into offense with its zone defense. If it’s able to generate turnovers or bad shots, which they swallow up routinely (18th in the nation in blocks per game), it can get to a prolific and efficient offense that has been hard to stop for all of its opponents thus far.

Syracuse’s only loss this season came from Maryland, a preseason top-25 team, and the team was still able to get over 80 points in the loss. The Orange rank 32nd in the nation in scoring average at 80.9 points per game and are just outside the top 30 in the nation in field goal attempts, a testament to their pace.

Stopping the offensive engine short by limiting turnovers and keeping the ball on Ohio’s side of the court is going to be the biggest key to the game. If the Bobcats are unable to do that, it could get out of hand for them very quickly.

Player to Watch: Dyaisha Fair

Fair has the highest scoring average out of any player Ohio has faced thus far. At just 5 feet, 5 inches, the guard is in the top 50 in the NCAA in points per game and holds her own as a distributor with 3.4 assists per game. She gets to her offense early in the clock, as the Orange love to do, and keeping her from getting going early will be essential to the Bobcats being able to keep up with the offense.

@LoganA_NBA

la486821@ohio.edu