Hockey: Overtime win attributed to Ohio grit, spirit

The Bobcats defeated the Purple Eagles in overtime with a game-winning goal from Laker Aldridge. On Friday, Ohio beat Niagara 2-1 after a back-and-forth battle with a consistent score. 

Coach Lionel Mauron shared that Spencer Schons’s play stood out to him on the ice.

“Schons was very good in the back end,“ Mauron said. "He actually created a lot of offense. He’s made such big strides since last year, we're super excited.” 

A strong competition led to some aggression on the ice. A big brawl in the middle of the second period caused penalties for both teams and lit the stadium up. 

“They are a very good penalty goal team,“ Mauron said. "They actually scored a goal on that. We would like to make it a five-on-five game as much as possible because we have the upper hand there, but when there are a lot of penalties they are a hard team to beat.”

Tensions were high as the game headed into overtime; a packed Bird always brings the pressure of a victory to The Bobcats. 

When asked what he told the team heading into overtime to encourage the win, Mauron said “It's beyond me and it's going to come down to one player or making a play like Laker did." 

Mauron acknowledged the team's talent and game intelligence, as showcased through its ability to make quick assessments and decisions under pressure. It did just that to solidify the victory over Niagara. 

Ms356522@ohio.edu

@Meganscudderr