Fun, festive activities to try this winter break

The month-long Winter Break can be boring for some college students. Luckily, there are many ways to make the break more enjoyable, relaxing and exciting. Returning to school calm and rested after a well-deserved break is important.

Having things to look forward to in the middle of winter can be beneficial. Plan a trip with your friends, or even just a dinner. If you have something in the datebook, the time before that is more exciting. You could also find something fun to do with your family, like baking or sledding.

Another idea is finding and trying out new recipes. You could make a fancy dinner or a new dessert to enjoy with others. Trying something new can allow for more creativity and a delicious treat.

This next piece of advice is simple: enjoy having no school. Anytime you are bored during a slow weekday, think about how you would typically be sitting in class. Take advantage of the time when you would normally have homework or studying to do.

During Winter Break, appreciating everything around you is also very important. You can volunteer by assisting a food pantry or working in a soup kitchen. Giving back to others will give the break a whole new meaning. 

Next on the list is visiting hometown friends. Make fun plans with them and catch up about life, school and plans for the new year. You could also plan a dinner or drive around and look at holiday lights.

If your Winter Break is too lazy and you want to get more done, you could also find a temporary job. This could be babysitting or working in a restaurant. I have done both and they made me feel so much more productive. You could post to Facebook and see if anyone needs a nanny or a babysitter or ask your friends where they have worked and check for any open temporary positions.

Another way to feel more productive is by trying a new workout. There are many ideas online you can do at home, or find a class nearby. 

Lastly, watch movies or find a television series to binge. Movies are great if you want to go out to a theater, and holiday movies or television shows are perfect for a day in bed. You could also invite friends over for a movie night.

There are many ways to enjoy Winter Break with friends, family or alone. You can make the break from school both cozy and productive. Find ways to be creative and enjoy time with the people you love.

kd364521@ohio.edu