Best winter coats of 2024

The weather outside is frightful, but there are many coat options to keep everyone warm this winter, from classic puffer coats to trendy sherpa jackets. Although experts at the Climate Prediction Center, a National Weather Service division, predict a warmer and wetter winter, it is important to be prepared for cold weather conditions. 

Here are the best coats to purchase this winter season: 

The classic puffer coat

The old saying goes, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” The puffer coat has been a dependable winter staple since 1937. Like all great things, the puffer coat has evolved and now takes form in various styles, sizes and colors. This Women’s 1996 Retro Nuptse Jacket from The North Face boasts 100% customer satisfaction and is priced at $330 and is also available in men’s.

For a more affordable option, Old Navy has a women’s quilted puffer jacket for $29.99 (originally $59.99) that is also available in men’s styles for $35. Places like Dick’s Sporting Goods and department stores like Macy’s also offer a wide variety of puffer coats at varying price points and styles. 

Sherpa jackets

For those extra cold winter days, a sherpa jacket is the perfect option to be warm and cozy. For women, Columbia has the Sherpa Ruby Falls Jacket priced at $85 (originally $240), which comes in two different colors and has plus-size options. American Eagle has more affordable Sherpa jacket options, such as this Zip-Up Bear Hug Sherpa Jacket for $23.98 (originally $59.95). For men, there is the Buchanan Sherpa Jacket from Levi’s for $81.98 (originally $148) and this more affordable Oversized Sherpa Zip Jacket from Old Navy priced at $24.47 (originally $59.99). Sherpa jackets come in various styles and colors; there will surely be one for everybody. 

Trench coats

Like the puffer coat, trench coats have been in style for ages. With countless styles and colors, the trench coat can elevate a casual outfit or accompany something a little dressier. This Women’s Relaxed Trench Coat priced at $35 (originally $50) from Target is a classic and this Wool-Blend Tailored Topcoat from Abercrombie & Fitch for $132 (originally $220) comes in six color options for endless styling opportunities. 

For men, there is the 2-in-1 Wool Blend Coat from Michael Kors for $139 (originally $348) or this Single Breasted Trench Coat from Amazon for $29.99, available in 13 different color options. No matter the style, a trench coat should be a closet essential this winter. 

Shearling jackets

Similar to the sherpa jacket, the shearling jacket promises warmth and style. Leather shearling jackets offer an elevated cold-weather look while still fighting against those winter chills. This Women’s Sonoma Goods For Life Aviator Jacket from Kohl’s is priced at $59.20 (originally $74.00) and is the classic shearling jacket style. This Calvin Klein Women’s Warm Rolled Cuff Shearling Jacket from Amazon at $175 provides a more casual shearling look. 

The Men’s Faux Shearling-Lined Denim Jacket for $49.94 (originally $99.95) at Hollister Co. makes the classic jean jacket perfect for winter and the Levi’s Men’s Faux Shearling Rancher Aviator Jacket for $67.02 on Amazon comes in four different colors fit for all shearling jacket needs. 

No matter what this winter has in store, these coats and jackets provide warmth, comfort and style, ensuring everyone has a look that suits them and the weather. 

et029322@ohio.edu