A shelter dog wags its tail in excitement for a walk, Aug. 30, 2022.

Friends of the Shelter Dogs houses canine companions

Athens has its fair share of friendly faces, but none of them quite compare to those with four legs and a wagging tail. The city is no stranger to its canine counterparts who roam up and down Court Street, and Friends of the Shelter Dogs, or FOSD, ensures all of them are taken care of and sent to welcoming homes. 

FOSD has been a nonprofit organization since 2007, assisting dogs in need of homes at the Athens County Dog Shelter, or ACDS, located at 13333 state Route 13. According to FOSD, 86% of dogs at ACDS were euthanized during that same year, so FOSD was founded to reduce the euthenasia rate. Now it’s considered a “no-kill shelter” and a haven for dogs without homes.

FOSD is dedicated to keeping Athens' furry friends safe and cared for and guaranteeing they will all go to good homes. It does this by providing dogs with vaccines and wormers and purchasing all of their vet care. FOSD also provides dogs with foster care while they are waiting for adoption or rescue and assists with spay and neuter programs. 

Nikki Balderson, a volunteer and board member for FOSD, has worked with shelter dogs for the past 25 years. She has volunteered in several places such as Parkersburg, West Virginia, where she is originally from, and Austin, Texas. Now an Athens resident for almost a year, she expressed her love for the town and the dogs that inhabit it.

“Coming from a huge city where it seems very difficult to find community, here it just seems like everybody will come together when needed,” said Balderson. “I feel like when we need donations for food or treats or things like that, we'll put a play out to the community and they're always following it up with orders or dropping in food and treats and things like that. I've actually been very impressed in that aspect.”

According to Balderson, FOSD provides orientation for all volunteers, and the program has proved to be incredibly successful and rewarding. She believes these volunteers bring joy to the lives of dogs in the shelter and they are always eager to see new faces. 

“(I love) being a bright spot in the dogs’ lives,” she said. “Without the volunteers, the dogs would just be sitting in their kennels. So knowing that I can come in and provide affection for them, an outlet for their energy and once they know you, they get very excited when you come there, so that's really rewarding.”

Balderson claims she always has a favorite; right now, that favorite is Max, a pit-heeler mix and one of the shelter’s longest-stay dogs.

“He is very unique looking,” she said. “When he first came in, he was very shy, very scared of everybody. And you know, after a couple of weeks you really saw him starting to shine and open up.”

While he is a timid dog at first, Balderson claimed with some extra time and care, Max is a sweet and playful dog who is awaiting a welcoming home.

At ACDS, adoption costs for dogs and puppies are $125. It is heavily advised by both the shelter and FOSD to think through the decision of adoption because of its responsibility and to keep dogs from reentering the shelter. 

Those interested in becoming shelter volunteers can submit a volunteer form on their website. All volunteers must attend orientation and be at least 18 years of age. 

“Some people will come in on their lunch break and walk one dog,” said Balderson. “We are so thankful for that. Some people just want to come and take a dog or two out into the yard and play with them. We love it.”

Balderson made it clear that becoming a volunteer is simple and is a huge help in the long run. The opportunity to help make the lives better of some of Athens' favorite residents is easily accessible and is another way to support a community that is loved by so many. FOSD is so grateful for all of its volunteers and for the impact they are making. 

“If you're just out and about and you're like ‘I've got 20 minutes I'd love to come and just walk a dog,’” said Balderson. “(If) you've already signed up to volunteer, you can come in and just drop in and do that. I want people to know it's very flexible, and we have a lot of opportunities for volunteers.”

abbyjenks18

aj205621@ohio.edu