5 ways to keep warm this winter

Winter is often thought of as a wonderland of joy and snow. With holidays such as Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, the beginning of winter is a time for family, friends, gifts and pleasantries. Once the holidays come to an end, the real season begins and the jolly feelings quiet. College campuses suffer as dorms and off-campus housing rarely get the needed heating. 

Here are a few ideas on how to stay warm in this freezing weather:

Space heater

Starting at about $25, a small electric space heater can make or break you this winter. In dorms or apartments, tenants often do not get to control the temperature with centralized air and heat. These heaters can help tremendously without breaking the bank. Consumer Reports tested out 100 heaters in their article, “Best Space Heaters of 2024,” so you don’t have to worry about choosing the best pick.

Fuzzy socks

It’s surprising how many people overlook a good pair of fuzzy socks since slippers are not a replacement for this winter essential. Once you hop in bed or bundle up on the couch, they come off. But fuzzy socks? They stay on as long as you’d like.

While that seems like an easy buy, aiming for quality over quantity is important. Some dryers do not treat these socks with the tender love and care you need. Walmart and Amazon both offer affordable socks to keep you warm, and both shops are easily accessible for the Athens student or resident.

Weighted blanket 

A weighted blanket has many benefits, including how incredibly warm they are. They can be a bit pricey, but they are so worth it. If you’re the kind of person who struggles to fall asleep, weighted blankets are proven to reduce anxiety, calm a restless body and reduce stress.

For a more in-depth look at its benefits, visit Very Well Health. While beneficial, it may be best to shop in person for this purchase. Target currently has some on-sale and cheaper options starting at $25 if you want the online shopping experience. 

Covering windows 

Insulating the windows is the less glamorous reality of staying warm and cozy this winter. Older dorm buildings and apartments have aging infrastructure. If your room is freezing, there is a good chance the window or A/C unit is letting air in.

A cheap way to fix this is to wrap your window sill or air conditioner with plastic wrap, as it won’t ruin any paint or cause damage. Another thing to check is the damper. If the damper on your heating element is closed, that prevents air from entering and properly circulating. More tips and tricks can be found on Ohio University’s site.

Clothing essentials 

Saving the best for last, the easiest way to stay warm and cute is to dress the part. Check the weather daily and match it. If snow or rain is coming, a hooded coat or hoodie and some sturdy snow boots would be best. Especially for those who walk to and from classes and work, a good pair of boots will save your feet if the fuzzy socks you bought aren’t enough. While UGGs may win the popular vote, they aren’t the most durable. 

A good snow boot can be found at Columbia Sportswear, Amazon or an underrated favorite, Mountain Warehouse. Other than boots, accessories such as hats, scarves and gloves are often overlooked. The hands, feet and face need to be protected just as much as the rest of the body, if not more. 

Winter can be the glorified season of holidays, hot cocoa and snowball fights, but it could soon become a disaster if unprepared. Don’t stop at warm clothes alone; ensure your space is built to withstand the freezing weather. Older buildings and towns suffer the most this season, but there is no need to fear. With the proper ventilation, dress, heating and bedding, this winter can be a breeze.

@simone_writes_

st398721@ohio.edu