Jess Selects: Groovy indie hits to mellow out your playlist

Let’s wind down this week with some laid-back beats and cozy compositions from all around the world. Here are your songs of the week:

“SHINE” by ARDN (feat. SiR)

ARDN is a Burundi-born, Canadian-raised melodic rap artist making his mark on the music scene. He makes his stories heard through smooth beats and a chill atmosphere. On Dec. 15, 2023, ARDN and Inglewood, CA, rapper SiR released a collaboration that leaves the replay button hot.

“SHINE” is an inspiring song about rising above the challenges life gives you; ARDN is not afraid to put up a fight and push through. The thumping bass and repetitive descending keys set this song on a path of vibey melodies. “It’s all or nothin” is the first lyric listeners are introduced to. We hear other impactful lyrics like, “Boy, ain’t no weapon formed against me” and “They tried to dim my light / I’m shining still.”

Be sure to check out this song and stay on the lookout for ARDN’s upcoming project, “The Bronze Age.”

“Colors” by Anaïs Cardot

If you’re a fan of artists like Cleo Sol, Amaria and UMI, Anaïs Cardot is an artist worth listening to. Her angelic, French-Gabonese voice sings of self-reflection and conflicting emotions in one of the beautiful romance languages.

With the influence of Ella Fitzgerald and charming orchestral-line production, Cardot is here to mesmerize listeners with her 2023 single, “Colors.”

When listeners press play, we are introduced to a rhythmic strumming pattern and layered harmonies. Cardot transports us into a story of learning to love ourselves and accepting love from others. 

We hear her sweetly sing, “Que jamais je ne pourrais m’approcher de tes bras / Avec toi le ciel se vide dе millier de couleurs,” which translates to, “That I could never get closer to your arms / With you the sky is empty of a thousand colors.” She begins her journey of growth and embracing the process for what it is. 

“I’ll Be With You” by Apartment Upstairs

In 2018, an indie-pop and jazz duo from New Delhi, India, was formed by Rohan Pai and Shourjo Chatterjee. Apartment Upstairs is highly underrated and their groovy tune, “I’ll Be With You,” has a sound like no other.

This song takes you from a speakeasy with an easy-going saxophone and high hats to an immediately funky, “Jamiroquai-esque” vibe.

“I’ll Be With You” was released on Jan. 2, 2021. It features producer Doc Awes, Abhay Sharma on the saxophone and a rapper by the name Fakeer. The song begins with, “Oh there’s time / Flying dancers in the sky,” and a dreamy beat that sways you side to side. Around the 2:10 mark, there is a complete shift in style. 

You may think the song is over, but you’re in for a treat. Listeners hear the lyrics, “Who’s the prophet / Who’s the king / Who’s to knock / And who’s to ring,” with a lively guitar to complement the voice. It’s more upbeat and vibrant with the same swag from the section before. “I’ll Be With You” is the perfect song for any day, with an energy that can match in any way.

To listen to all the songs that Jess Selects, you can listen to her playlist here.

@kidcalledjess

jg723322@ohio.edu