Ohio University sophomore Xander Danner (25) gets ready to fight for the puck against Bowling Green University in Bird Arena Oct.14, 2023.

D2 Hockey: Everything to know about Ohio’s doubleheader against Ohio State

Ohio (13-7) travels to Chiller Ice Works to take on Ohio State University (4-15) this Friday evening. Following the game, Ohio will travel back to Bird Arena to face Ohio State again on Saturday. The Bobcats just had two dominant wins against Xavier last weekend, including both a 5-point shutout and a massive 12-point performance. 

Game Information:

Opponent: Ohio State University

Dates: Jan. 19 at 8:30 p.m. and Jan. 20 at 10 p.m.

Locations: Chiller Ice Works, Columbus, (Jan. 19) and Bird Arena, Athens, (Jan. 20)

Get to know the opponent:

Ohio State’s Stat Leaders:

Points: Matthew Dobrowsky (15)

Goals: Sam Gaffney (10)

Assists: Carson Johnston (10)

Saves: Thomas Wesolowski (377)

Ohio State is coming off a series with Louisville, which it split one win apiece. As a team, they are averaging just over 3 goals a game this season. However, opposing teams are averaging nearly 4.5 points per game. 

Players to Watch:

Look for the Bobcats’ leaders in points — Forward Nikalas Jozefiak and Defenseman Ethan Tamborski — to capitalize on any opportunities the Buckeyes give them. On the other side, the Bobcats will have to look out for Sam Gaffney’s goal-scoring abilities, as well as goalie Thomas Wesolowski, who will be working to keep Ohio off the scoreboard.

The two games this weekend may prove to be a strong test for Ohio as it nears the end of the season, but if it remains active on offense, it has a chance to come out with two impressive wins.

da160519@ohio.edu