Forward Will Cohen (15) gets ready to face off against Toledo at Bird Arena in Athens, Ohio Jan. 20, 2024

Hockey: Ohio completes sweep of Toledo with 6-0 shutout victory

Another year, another sweep of Toledo for Ohio. Last year the series total score was 14-2, and this year it was 16-2. Despite not scoring as early on in the game as Friday, due to Toledo coming on very strong defensively, Ohio won the game 6-0.

The Bobcats carried the same energy they had Friday into Saturday night's game. While Head Coach Lionel Mauron was very pleased with the team, especially sophomore goalie Garrett Alderman, he felt there were some missed opportunities in the first period. 

“Yesterday we controlled the game a little more and we tend to be overly aggressive and defensive,” Mauron said. “We gave up chances we had to really dominate the game.” 

The first period ended scoreless as both teams put up a similar amount of shots early on. The Bobcats and Rockets both exerted a great amount of effort despite not getting into the scoring column.

Alderman, says the Bobcats’ camaraderie allowed them to play more together.

“Everyone builds off each other,” Alderman said. “We are very positive.” 

Forward Noah Holt brought the offensive positive energy that the Bobcats needed, scoring in the first two minutes of the second period on a power play. Forward Laker Aldridge, less than a minute after Holt’s goal, scored the second goal of the night. Luc Reeve made his presence felt as a distributor, assisting both players' goals. Drew Gardner, assisted Aldridge’s goal alongside Reeve. 

“Everybody plays offensively, we have speed throughout the lineup and the freshmen are really coming along,” Mauron said. “Everybody is contributing.”

The Bobcats started the third period even stronger than the second with a goal by Holt, his second of the night, less than 30 seconds into the third period. 

Shortly after, Mathieu Ovaert scored his first goal of the night with an assist from Holt. Ohio, showcasing its offensive skills, scored another goal from Andrew Sacca. He was assisted by both Barron Stibbe and Andrew Wells. Ovaert finished out the game strong with the team’s sixth goal of the night and his second goal of the period. 

The Bobcats secured another victory with a 6-0 shutout. Despite a slower start, the whole team worked together to pull out another win for Ohio.

According to Alderman, the team’s confidence has only grown during the recent winning streak.

“The more we win, the more confident we get,” Alderman said. 

The Bobcats will need that confidence as they take on their rivals, Maryville, next weekend in Bird Arena.

Mm401222@ohio.edu