Shereef Mitchell (4) Guard position on Ohio Univeristy's Mens Basketball team shoots an open three pointer at The Convo, in Athens, Ohio on Dec. 6, 2023.

Men's Basketball: Ohio looks to bounce back against Kent State

Ohio (9-10, 3-4 Mid-American Conference) is nearly two-thirds through its regular season and is still searching for its first road win. Ohio will look to change its road-winless start against Kent State (10-9, 3-4 MAC).

Despite playing much better basketball in the last two weeks than it had to start MAC play, Ohio dropped a close game to Akron on Tuesday. Ohio held Akron to just 67 points but shot 38.9% from the field to score a season-low 57 points. Friday night, the Bobcats will look to put its loss behind it with a quick turnaround against Kent State.

While every MAC road game is a test, Kent State is not quite at the same level it has been in years past or even at the same level as Ohio's previous opponent Akron. The Golden Flashes started the conference slate with a mediocre 1-3 record before bouncing back with road wins against Northern Illinois and Bowling Green. 

Here is what to know for Ohio's game against Kent State.

Game Information:

Opponent: Kent State

Location: Memorial and Athletic Convocation Center

Time: Friday at 6:30 p.m.

How to watch: CBS Sports Network

Meet the opponent:

Head Coach: Rob Senderoff (13th season)

Probable Starters

01 VonCameron Davis

04 Chris Payton Jr.

13 Jalen Sullinger

15 Mike Bekelja

42 Cli'Ron Hornbeak

Statistical leaders:

Points: Sullinger (15.2 per game)

Assists: Giovanni Santiago (4.1 per game)

Steals: Santiago (1.4 per game)

Rebounds: Payton Jr. (7.8 per game)

Field-Goal Percentage: Hornbeak (68.3%)

Three-Point Percentage: Tyem Freeman (56%)

Free-Throw Percentage: Sullinger (87%)

History:

In the last 12-plus years, Ohio has had its challenges with one of the most consistently successful MAC programs, Kent State. The Bobcats have gone just 11-17 against the Golden Flashes since the beginning of 2011. More concerning for the Bobcats, though, is their current four-game losing streak against the Golden Flashes. Last season, the Bobcats played two close games against the eventual MAC champion but lost in both games. Ohio has not defeated Kent State at Kent since the 2013-14 season.

Player to watch: Chris Payton Jr.

In his fifth year in college basketball, Payton Jr. has blossomed into a do-it-all type of player for Kent State. At 6-foot-7-inches, Payton Jr. leads the Golden Flashes in rebounding and blocks, averaging 13.9 points per game. Payton Jr. has shown he can also step outside and knock down a 3-point jumper, with six makes on the year, and is shooting an efficient 51.4% from the field.

@GorbettBobby 

bg238320@ohio.edu