The Ohio Statehouse in Columbus, Ohio, Jan. 21, 2024.

Ohio politicians, student senators push against restrictive transgender youth law

On Jan. 24, the Ohio Senate voted to override Gov. Mike DeWine’s veto against Ohio House Bill 68 The bill limits access to essential healthcare needs for transgender youth, including restricting transgender minors from receiving gender-affirming care and preventing transgender girls from taking part in girl’s and women’s sports. 

With a Republican supermajority in the statehouse, Dewine was expected to follow his Republican legislature by signing the bill. Despite his veto, the decision was overruled by a 65-28 vote in the Ohio House and a 24-8 in the Ohio Senate, and will take effect April 23. 

The bill will restrict transgender minors from puberty blockers, hormone therapy and genital or non-genital gender reassignment surgery. However, the bill includes a grandfather clause allowing trans people who are already receiving care to continue to do so. 

Arienne Childrey, a democratic politician and transgender woman is running for Ohio State Representative for the 84th district. Her campaign website said she is running for office for all people. 

She described her experiences with gender-affirming care and the ability for her to access these resources. 

“Gender-affirming care not only changed my life, it not only saved my life, but it actually made me feel like I had a life worth living here,” she said.  

Childrey is running against Angela King, an incumbent Republican house member who co-sponsored Ohio’s drag ban bill, House Bill 245 – which prohibits certain adult cabaret performances, including drag queen shows. 

“I will tell you as somebody, who is dedicated to staying here and fighting … all the kids, all of the youth don't have the ability to fight for themselves, I do and I will … But for those of us that can stay an fight, not only should we, I think we have an obligation to do so,” Childrey said. 

Childrey said the effects of the legislation may make people of the trans community feel isolated and excluded in Ohio.

“I think that adults need to keep in mind that, despite what they might think, when they speak, our youth are listening,” she said. “(The bill) gives a signal to youth that are not trans … that there is something wrong, not something different, something wrong (with transgender people).” 

Micah McCarey, director of Ohio University’s LGBT Center, said he is not allowed to comment on pending legislation.

Student Senate LGBTQIA+ Commissioner Willow Downard, who is a transgender student, said the commission is working to make gender-affirming care resources more available in the LGBT Center.

She said some people may be reluctant to go into the center for one reason or another, but she and the rest of the commission are working to make it a more accessible area. 

“A lot of what we do is advocacy-based,” she said. “Part of what we also do is work with the school body to enforce change on campus to be more inclusive and generally better with the community” 

Downard suggested that finding an intentional community, both in-person and offline, can benefit students looking to explore their identity or get involved with advocacy. 

“You can still meet the people in the community and talk to them and see what you can do yourself to help them in the position that you're in,” she said. 

Student Senate Governmental Affairs Commissioner Dan Gordillo said he recommends students who are disappointed with a piece of legislation, including HB 68, to go to the Student Senate’s office to get help getting in contact with and representative for the Ohio legislature and voice these concerns.

“I'm more than willing to help you find who your legislators are so you can voice your opinion directly,” he said.

Since the bill directly affects transgender minors, Gordillo said it probably won’t affect OU students, but it will affect those in Athens County. 

Despite its passing, the bill faces legal action from the American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio, or ACLU, and strong opposition from democratic leaders and constituents, according to an ACLU press release.

@oliviaggilliand

og953622@ohio.edu