Laylay Fantroy (2) shoots a free throw at the OHIO Womens Basketball vs. Miami Basketball at the Convo. in Athens, Ohio. Jan. 27, 2024.

Women’s Basketball: Everything you need to know ahead of Ohio’s matchup with Buffalo

Ohio (7-11, 4-4 Mid-American Conference) has gone on its longest win streak of the season, winning three straight games to even its conference record. Now, the team finds itself preparing for a matchup with Buffalo (10-8, 4-4 MAC) to start the most challenging stretch of its conference schedule.

With arguably one of the best rosters in the MAC, Buffalo is currently sitting at fourth in the conference schedule. The Bulls’ offensive stampede is headed by one of the nation’s top scorers, whom they’ve surrounded with a bevy of efficient role players.

Here’s everything you need to know ahead of the matchup:

Game Information

Opponent: Buffalo 

Time: Wednesday at 7 p.m.

Location: The Convocation Center (Athens, Ohio)

How to Watch: ESPN+

Follow live stats here.

Meet the Opponent

Head Coach: Becky Burke (second season)

Projected Starters:

#01 Rana Elhusseini

#02 Kristen Lewis-Williams

#05 Sitota Gines

#22 Kiara Johnson

#35 Chellia Watson

Statistical Leaders

Points: Watson (24.9 per game)

Rebounds: Lewis-Watson (6.2 per game)

Assists: Elhusseini (3.2 per game)

Steals: Elhusseini (1.7 per game)

Blocks: Hattie Ogden (0.6 per game)

Field Goal Percentage: Johnson (49%)

Three Point Percentage: Watson (40%)

Free Throw Percentage: Elhusseini (89%)

Buffalo Notes

Buffalo is coming off a loss to Toledo despite Chellia Watson’s performance, where she had 47 points, a season-high for any player in the NCAA. While Watson went 17-of-30 from the field in her historic performance, the rest of Buffalo’s herd went just 7-of-29.

Overall, Buffalo’s defense has been solid, ranking right around the middle of the country in terms of points per game conceded. Teams shoot just 39% from the field and 30% from three against the Bulls, and they force a good amount of turnovers as well at 14.8 per game.

Forcing Watson to play one-versus-five will be integral to the Bobcats’ potential success and ability to continue their winning streak. Forcing Buffalo to rely on its supporting cast, as well as keeping the turnover number low to systematically limit Watson’s touches, could also be the equation to winning.

Player to Watch: Chellia Watson

It should go without saying why Watson is the player to watch against Buffalo. She’s an incredible scorer with the numbers to back it up and she does so relatively efficiently. As of late, the Bobcats have done a great job of stopping their opponent’s main scoring options on both ends, keeping them off the floor through their game plans or foul trouble.

Watson, a five-foot-eight guard, the Bobcats will have to defend her quite differently. In the first half of the game against Syracuse back in December, Ohio had relative success guarding a stylistically similar player in Dyaisha Fair, a top-20 scorer in the nation in her own right but allowed her to get hot in the second half and lost the game 82-62.

@LoganA_NBA

la486821@ohio.edu