Redshirt Freshman, Peyten Kellar, grabs Kent State opponent's ankle on Feb. 3, 2023 at The Convo, in Athens.

Wrestling: Ohio takes on George Mason in MAC home opener

Ohio opens its home Mid-American Conference campaign Friday and will roll out the green carpet for George Mason. 

Both squads come into the contest hoping to get back on the winning side of things. Ohio dropped its last two duals to Northern Illinois and Michigan State, and George Mason was defeated by Hofstra; however, the latter won its last MAC dual against Edinboro last weekend. 

Here is everything to know about the Bobcats’ eighth dual and second MAC dual of the season:

Match Information

Venue: The Convo, Athens

Date: Jan. 19

Time: 7 p.m. 

Watch: ESPN+

Previous Results

Ohio is recuperating from a subpar performance in DeKalb, having lost 15-24 to the Huskies. Winners from the meet include Peyton Kellar, who won the 157-pound class by a score of 7-1, earning the Bobcats’ first win of the day; Garrett Thompson pinned his 165-pound class foe in 2:28 for his 19th win of the season; Zayne Lehman shutout his 184-pound opponent 5-0 to earn Ohio 3 points. The final winner of the day was Austin Starr, who took home an 8-1, 197-pound class victory.

George Mason spent last Sunday with Hofstra, losing 25-15. The day prior, they demolished MAC opponent Edinboro, 38-3. The Patriots are led by Nathan Higley, DJ McGee, and Chad Nix — the trio is ranked No. 2 in the conference’s 141-pound, 157-pound, and 285-pound classes, respectively, while Evan Maag and Malachi Duvall are both No. 4 in the 165-pound and 184-pound classes, respectively.

In the overall MAC team scores, from the MAC’s January rankings, the Bobcats sit in third behind Lock Haven and Central Michigan, trailing the former by 5 points. The Patriots are looking up at Rider and Cleveland State from the sixth position, and they trail Ohio by 22.5 points. 

@mattpbutcher

mb484321@ohio.edu