Predicting which celebrities are here to stay

Each generation has its fair share of celebrities who have lived in the spotlight for decades. Our grandparents had people like Elvis Presley, Marylin Monroe, James Dean, Aretha Franklin and The Beatles. Our parents grew up idolizing people like Madonna, Michael Jackson, Meryl Streep, Winona Ryder and Hugh Jackman. 

It makes one wonder, who will be considered the new "it" celebrities?

Taylor Swift

A list of current "it" celebrities cannot exist without Taylor Swift. Her music has transcended multiple generations, with her early work coming out in the mid-2000s and her still selling out whole stadiums. She'll continue to be in the spotlight as long as she continues making music. Her relationship with Kansas City Chiefs starting tight end Travis Kelce has also propelled her media time into another audience, as did her highly successful “Eras” tour.

Harry Styles 

Another singer who will make it to the "it" level of stardom is Harry Styles. His fame was translated from his former boy band persona in One Direction, and he has grown into one of the most famous artists out there. Winning a Grammy for Album of the Year in 2022 certainly doesn't hurt, either.

Styles also wrapped up his nearly two-year-long tour, one of the longest-running and highest-grossing tours in history. He also is known for his unique fashion sense, which has become very popular as of late, and allowed him to be the first and only solo male on the cover of Vogue. 

Zendaya

Zendaya has had an impressive acting career since her days on “Shake It Up.” She has only continued to grow in her latest performances in “Euphoria,” “Dune” and "Malcolm & Marie."

If she continues that streak, she'll be winning awards far into her career. She also has a long-term relationship with her “Spider-Man” co-star, Tom Holland, who is also looking good for a promising career. This relationship will help both celebrities maintain stardom.

Jacob Elordi

Keeping with the “Euphoria” cast, Jacob Elordi is another celebrity with the potential to maintain his fame. He got off to a rocky start with “The Kissing Booth” trilogy, which unfortunately saw pretty low ratings. Those movies did push him to become a teen heartthrob on social media, though. Recently, he has come out with two very good performances in “Saltburn” and “Priscilla.”

These celebrities will likely maintain a timeless fame that will continue for future generations. Their performances and music will one day be enjoyed by our kids and grandkids. 

However, some celebrities may not preserve their fame. 

Noah Schnapp

Even though “Stranger Things” was one of the most popular shows recently, the actor hasn't done much else. Now that he's in college, it'll be harder to continue a career in film and TV. Recently, he was under scrutiny for his stance on the Israel-Palestine conflict, which has gotten him semi-canceled. This blow to his fame will certainly not help with his longevity in the spotlight. 

The D'Amelio sisters and Addison Rae

With the rise of TikTok, we have seen a surge in "influencers" like the D'Amelio sisters and Addison Rae. Those people have yet to do much with their newfound fame, and it will eventually fizzle out if not cultivated correctly. We seem to filter through TikTok "celebrities" faster than the average celebrity, which won't help any of their careers. 

Chase Stokes

“Outer Banks” was extremely popular during the lockdown era of COVID-19; however, its views seem to have dwindled since then. Low viewership and his lack of other projects don't help create a promising life in the spotlight. His co-star, Madelyn Cline, seems to be having a more promising career with her more recent projects aside from “Outer Banks.”

Morgan Wallen

Lastly, there is country singer Morgan Wallen. This may be an unpopular opinion – especially for country fans – but Morgan Wallen isn't that good. His music is pretty bland and sounds like anyone could have written it. Along with his controversial past, I don't think his fame will continue to the level of country singers like Johnny Cash or Tim McGraw. 

I would never wish a failing career on anyone, especially since some of these celebrities have very loyal fans. However, some are better at being timeless celebrities than others who seem to have popular clout for the moment. 

cb297222@ohio.edu