Piper’s Place: Why is every romantic comedy protagonist a journalist?

Over Winter Break, I had a lot of downtime and used it to catch up on things I missed during the semester. I read a few books, caught up on the hours of sleep I lost and watched many movies, specifically, romantic comedies or so-called “rom-coms.” While on my fifth movie (of the day or the week, one may never know) I noticed a recurring theme. Every main character is a journalist.

No, seriously — Andie in “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days;” Sally in “When Harry Met Sally;” Harper in “Set It Up;” Iris in “The Holiday;” Jenna in “13 Going on 30;” Jenny in “Someone Great” and Kevin in “27 Dresses.” That isn’t all either, these characters are just from the movies I watched over break.

I don’t understand what authors or directors find so romantic about being a journalist. Journalists are up all night finishing a story with coffee breath, eye bags, smeared mascara and a half-finished to-do list. Every rom-com female protagonist has their life together, with somehow a very nice apartment, well-styled, shiny blonde hair and never has a good relationship with their boss. 

I’m sure I am not alone when I say I would love a rom-com romance. The type where the man runs to the airport or does something dangerous just to tell the girl he loves her. I already have the journalist label so what do I need now? Matthew McConaughey? It would be one thing if being a journalist was romantic and caused the events in these movies to happen in real life, but that isn’t the case.

These rom-com movies have inspired young female adults to go into the journalism field. It’s the same thing with “Grey’s Anatomy.” So many young women wanted to be surgeons when they grew up because they imagined having their own McDreamy while wearing cute scrubs. Can we stop making all shows and movies into a romantic gaze? Surgeons and journalists should be taken seriously and shouldn’t have the reputation that they have a hot date tomorrow night.

For being a male-dominated industry, these women representing journalism should be something we should honor and look up to, but these movies don’t show off the hard work journalists do. What they do show is the chase of some sort of romantic trope. These movies undermine women by making them seem like their only interest is the man who said “Hi,” to them at a bar while out over a weekend. 

My argument is not going to stop me from watching every rom-com there is. I will be seeing “Anyone But You” with Sydney Sweeney and Glenn Powell, and I will be rewatching “10 Things I Hate About You” several times a month — I love a good rom-com and I am a creature of habit. However, I am excited for the day a female journalist-centered rom-com shows a more realistic view of the world of women in journalism.

Suzanne Piper is a sophomore at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Suzanne know by tweeting her @_suziepiper.