Quinntessential: Keeping in touch with with loved ones is essential

Over this past week, my column about fast food prices was met with some backlash. I was expecting this kind of pushback and was thrilled to see some engagement with my article. However, if I received this backlash earlier in the year, it for sure would’ve gotten the better of me.

At the beginning of my college career, I tried to toughen up while facing the winding road laid down by Ohio University and life in general. I saw it as a way of proving I didn’t need help from anyone to succeed and that I could be a truly independent human being. Not only did this decision hinder my academic motivation, but also my experience at OU as a whole.

Some people prefer to look to their friends for guidance. While this pipeline is perfectly fine, your friends are going through very similar problems as you. They are still enduring the rigors of college, so they can’t give you the same advice as someone who has already seen the light at the end of the tunnel.

For the solution my problem presented, I had to look to someone older and wiser, someone who’s known for dawning a vest wherever he roams: my dad. With guidance from my mom and dad, I improved my situation and I feel more comfortable and happy.

In my short time here at OU, I credit my parents for most of my success. It does help that they both attended OU, but my point still stands. They’ve encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone, work out more and study at the library. This advice is what got me out of my early-semester slump.

According to a study from Webmd, keeping a close relationship with your parents can be beneficial because loved ones are great sources of emotional support.

I have seen the effects of people not seeing their loved ones as tools to succeed and how this can lead to spiraling that may be irreversible. While that may seem extreme, I feel it shows the importance of having an anchor in your life. 

As we enter week three of the spring semester here at OU, responsibilities are beginning to ramp up from everywhere. Whether it be from a class, a club or a job, everyone may feel a sense of being stretched too thin for their own good. Therefore, now is as good of a time as ever to remind the masses there is always someone looking out for you, whether you know it or not.

It’s not shameful to ask for help — it’s natural and expected. There are so many outlets to vent your frustrations and pain to others. If you feel you can’t talk to a relative from home, there are so many people who want to see you succeed at OU. Therapists, academic coaches and even professors who will make time for you if you are struggling. There are plenty of keys to success in the form of role models in life, it’s just a matter of reaching out.

Quinn Elfers is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to share your thoughts about the column? Let Quinn know by emailing him at me989022@ohio.edu.