Senior students prepare for last semester, reflect on time at OU

The first week of spring semester classes has mustered up an array of emotions for seniors across campus. Many seniors can not wait to move on to the next chapter of their lives, while others crave one more year at Ohio University.

Abigail Lindley, a senior studying publication design, said nearing the end of her time as an undergraduate at OU is “bittersweet.”

“Personally, I'm ready for a change and I'm really looking forward to the possibility of everything that's new, but I also am really sad,” Lindley said. 

Emily Marlow, a senior studying communications, shared the same sentiment of a bittersweet feeling. As a first-generation college student, Marlow said preparing for graduation is surreal.

“For so long, it felt like I was trying really, really hard just to keep my head above water,” Marlow said. “With it ending, it feels both sad, but also like I can finally take a deep breath.”

Maggie Noll, a senior studying communications, described this time in her academic career as stressful, scary and exciting.

“I think that it's just such a weird time in your life because there's no more school left,” Noll said.

Lindley said she is eager to see her classmates and friends branch out post-graduation.

“I get to see all of my wonderful friends and people that I've met, see them go blossom and do amazing things, whether it's in their career or something completely new,” Lindley said. “I am really excited about that.”

With her final semester ahead, Lindley’s job search is in full swing. She hopes to pursue a career in something she is passionate about – outdoor education and recreation. 

Similarly, Noll and Marlow are working to secure jobs after graduation. Marlow hopes to pursue a career with a concentration in Appalachia or work for a university.

“No matter where I end up afterward, I want to continue education in some capacity,” Marlow said. 

As these students collectively approach commencement in May they are taking time to reflect on their experiences at OU, discovering what it truly means to be a Bobcat.

Noll said OU has helped prepare her for the future in numerous ways.

“Just being around people that you can communicate with on a personal level, the classes and professors, everyone is there to help you,” Noll said. “I think OU does an amazing job with that.”

For Lindley, living in Athens has meant discovering a lot of what the region has to offer and ultimately, learning the value of community.

“You are your own person, but you are defined by the people in the community that you inhabit,” Lindley said. “I think it's really important. I don't know, but I think OU has really prepared me to value that as I continue the rest of my life.”

College is a place of self-discovery through education and experience. As Lindley explains, no one is alone in the struggles of a collegiate journey.

“Even if it seems like everyone around you has it together in college, that's never the case,” Lindley said. “We're all just trying to figure things out.”

Marlow also believes that everyone has experienced some struggle during their time in college. She recommends that students take advantage of university resources while staying hopeful. 

“I think relying on the wisdom of other people who have done this and also reminding yourself that you're not the first to feel that way,” Marlow said. “You're not the last and eventually, you'll be in a position where you can help people.”

ab532721@ohio.edu 

@abbyblosee