Tips to experience a great Spring Semester

Spring Semester at Ohio University began Jan. 16, bringing new classes, schedules and beginnings for every student. The start of a new semester can be overwhelming. Things can pile up quickly, from moving back to campus to starting new classes and getting into new routines. 

Here is a list of some crucial tips and tricks to ensure that this semester is your best one yet:

Plan, plan, plan

Planning is the key to staying organized and on top of homework and other responsibilities. One way to ensure everything gets completed on time is to invest in a planner. Planners come in various styles and can be customized to your needs. Not only do planners allow for better organization, but they also force you to take responsibility for your assignments and schedules. 

Create a study schedule

It is no secret that studying is one of the main components in the recipe for success. The wonderful thing about studying is that anyone can do it; the tricky thing is learning how to make studying work for you. There are many campus resources and strategies for OU students to aid in the daunting task of studying. 

Be mindful

Although the beginning of the semester is a bright, fresh start, it can get very stressful very quickly. Setting aside even just a few minutes a day to think about the positive things in your life, no matter how big or small, can make a huge difference in the outlook of your day. Remembering the small, good things in your life can make the bigger, more stressful things seem manageable. 

Set goals

Setting a new goal or goals for the semester is one way to become more motivated. If you purposefully set a goal to study an hour a day or earn a certain grade in a class, you are more likely to achieve this goal, according to a study by Dominican University. Just like making a New Year's resolution, setting goals for the semester can keep you organized and focused. 

Do not be afraid to ask for help

College is stressful. No matter how much you prepare for a new semester, it is very easy to fall behind. OU offers many tutoring and academic services that are free to all students. There are also many outlets and resources for mental health help. The only way to have a productive and successful semester is to be the best version of yourself that you can be. Academic and mental health services are there to help you no matter what your need is. 

Make time for fun

While studying, working hard and creating good habits are important for having a good semester, making time for fun is equally important. If you spend all semester stressing about your grades and assignments, you may perform well academically. However, it will not be a very memorable semester. Set aside a few hours a week and dedicate them to your social life. 

Whether that means grabbing a quick bite to eat with friends or joining a new club to meet people and make new friends, giving yourself time to relax and have fun is just as important as studying for a test. Balance is key when it comes to navigating your social and academic life.

Cut yourself some slack

At the end of the day, when you have finished your homework or just had a breakdown over an exam score, remember to be gentle with yourself. Trying your best is all you can do. Remind yourself that you did all you could, and cut yourself some slack. One bad day or one poor exam score does not define you.

et029322@ohio.edu