Provided by Olivia Judy from the 2023 Trombone Day.

'Trombone Day' will bring world-class music to Athens

Friday will be Ohio University’s 10th annual Trombone Day, a vibrant celebration of community and all things trombone. 

Lucas Borges, an associate professor of trombone, anticipates a gathering of music enthusiasts from across the country.

“There are people coming from as far as Wisconsin and Florida, just to come to this,” Borges said.

The day will encompass an array of activities for trombonists including group rehearsals, concerts and even a master class. During the class, registered participants will have the opportunity to learn from a world-class trombonist, Christian Lindberg.  

According to OU’s School of Music Website, Lindberg was voted “The Greatest Brass Player in History” in 2015 by Classic FM, the world’s largest classical radio station. Lindberg was also given the “International Classical Music Award” in 2016 at the Gala Ceremony in San Sebastian, Spain.

IMG_4664.JPG

Although tickets for the masterclass were sold out at 150 people, the public will still have an opportunity to attend a free recital at Athens First United Methodist Church. The show will begin at 8 p.m., featuring Lindberg and pianist Roland Pöntinen as part of their 40th-anniversary recital tour.

Borges organized Trombone Day alongside the OU Trombone Society. According to him, the free recital will give audience members the opportunity to discover the technical and expressive capabilities of the trombone.

“Correctly or incorrectly, people don't see the trombone as a solo instrument and, I promise, this recital will change your perception,” Borges said.

Hunter Sheafer, a junior studying music education and the president of the OU Trombone Society, said anyone who attends can enjoy the unique show. Sheafer describes Lindberg as the “Taylor Swift of trombonists.”

“He wears really cool glasses and different outfits, and he's very over the top, which comes through in his trombone playing,” Sheafer said. “So, it's going to be a really exciting recital.”

Borges agrees with Sheafer, promising a recital that is energetic, entertaining and animated all at once. 

“He's almost like more of a rock star playing the trombone, but playing classical music,” Borges said. “That makes it very interesting. His performances are very energetic, yet also very refined.”

As Sheafer explained, Athens will be Lindenberg’s only stop in Ohio during his tour of the U.S. He recommends that anyone available stop by for the performance.

“I think it's really special for our students, and for really everybody in the community to have somebody of that high of a status come here,” said Sheafer.

Olivia Judy, a senior studying music therapy and a member of the OU Trombone Society, said Trombone Day will serve as an accessible way for the community to be inspired.

“I think they're just going to be really inspired and I bet you a lot of them don't even know the magnitude of this guy that's coming,” Judy said.

Borges has spent a great deal of time and dedication preparing for the upcoming Trombone Day. His hope is that everyone can learn to appreciate the trombone for the culturally significant instrument it is.

“When they come in to watch, they will see what the trombone is capable of both expressively and technically,” he said.

ab532721@ohio.edu 

@abbyblosee