Actor Spotlight: Ayo Edebiri is just getting started

Comedian, producer and actor Ayo Edebiri is receiving well-deserved acclaim for her performance in "The Bear," this past year. However, Edebiri's talents range far from solely acting. 

Edebiri started her career performing stand-up on Comedy Central's "Up Next." While performing, Edebiri attended New York University, where she befriended Rachel Sennott.

In 2020, the pair wrote and co-starred in "Ayo and Rachel are Single"on Comedy Central, where the two played fictional versions of themselves trying to find love in New York City. 

With her traction from her comedy specials, Edebiri made her film debut in 2020 with an uncredited role in the comedy-drama "Shithouse."

That year, she also joined the cast and writing staff of the raunchy comedy "Big Mouth" for its fourth season, replacing Jenny Slate as the voice of Missy.

Edebiri continued voice acting in several other projects, including the Netflix interactive special "We Lost Our Human" (2023). Later that year, she also voiced Glory Grant in "Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse" and April O'Neil in "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem." She also voiced roles in the Disney Channel series "Kiff" and the Max series "Clone High."

Edebiri's success in voice acting led her to pursue other acting roles while continuing to work as a television writer. Edebiri has written for "The Rundown with Robin Thede" and NBC's "Sunnyside." She began acting and writing for the second season of Apple TV's "Dickinson."

She also worked on "Mulligan" (2023) and had appearances on the Netflix series "Black Mirror" and the Hulu series "History of the World, Part II." Edebiri was also a producer on the Hulu series "What We Do in the Shadows," earning a nomination for the Writers Guild of America Award for Best Episodic Comedy for the episode "Private School."

Edebiri gained more recognition after starring in the 2023 mockumentary and comedy "Theater Camp," directed by Molly Gordon and Nick Lieberman. The film follows the staff of a rundown theater camp that must band together after its founder falls into a coma. Edebiri plays Janet Walch, one of the camp's counselors.

Edebiri continued making 2023 her year after she guest starred in "Abbott Elementary"as the main character Janice's (Quinta Brunson) sister. However, this was only the beginning of Edebiri's year.

Edebiri and Sennott collaborated once again in 2023 with the comedy "Bottoms," directed by Emma Seligman, who co-wrote the film with Sennott. The film follows PJ (Sennott) and Josie (Edebiri), two queer high school girls who start a fight club under the guise of hooking up with cheerleaders. The film received a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes and made around $13 million at the box office.

However, Edebiri gained major prominence for her role in the 2022 comedy-drama series The Bear, in which she portrays Sydney Adamu, a young chef working under sous chef Carmy, played by Jeremy Allen White. The first season was critically acclaimed, receiving 10 Primetime Emmy Award nominations.

"The Bear's" second season premiered in 2023, and the show soon received greater recognition for its performances. Edebiri received a Golden Globe for Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Series, Musical or Comedy, and she was also awarded her first Primetime Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. Her acting in "The Bear" was widely recognized and highly awarded, proving Edebiri's prowess. 

Edebiri is everywhere, and her name constantly appears on a new project. On Feb. 3, "The Bear" actress hosted Saturday Night Live for the first time. 

Edebiri is also rumored to be joining the "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise, potentially replacing star Johnny Depp. Her character is allegedly named Anne and is inspired by real-life pirate Anne Bonny.

Between comedy, acting, voice acting, writing and producing, Edebiri proves she is a multi-faceted actor who is a stellar addition to every project.

@camiseymore

ch525822@ohio.edu