Artist Spotlight: Street Fever tells their story through electronic versatility

Street Fever is not your average musician. The anonymous mixed-media performance artist, based out of Boise, Idaho, is a combination of resilience and artistry, which is distinctly displayed in their new single and accompanying music video, "Sinner."  

The project of Street Fever is rooted in an ongoing spiritual awakening and experiences of recovery and addiction. The artist has withstood the loss of all their possessions, frequent institutionalization, drug detox and life-threatening moments in a Thai prison. Since then, Street Fever has been on a journey to better understand their artistry and humanity as they create their platform to speak on their experiences. 

Those experiences are not the only motivators of Street Fever’s music. The artist grew up with shrines to Three 6 Mafia in their bedroom and was raised by the DIY hardcore music scene. Those influences have fed the eclectic background of Street Fever, and it has inspired their distinctive style, experimenting with rap, industrial techno, noise, electro, pop, classical music and more. 

Street Fever’s discography contains three EPs, two singles and one full-length album. Their first EP, "Afflictions," was released in 2015, and features notable songs "Chamber" and "La Corde."

The former begins with disorienting electronic sound effects and a resonant background, all of which serve to create an eerie and anticipatory mood. The instrumental track is slow and meticulous, not just a series of random beat drops and crescendos. 

"La Corde" introduces lyricism to Street Fever’s repertoire. A sultry female voice speaks in French, in rhythm with the pulsing percussion and bass. The voice grows louder and angrier in correlation with the rhythm, helping create the aesthetic of seething rumination. 

The artist’s second EP, “Enchaîné,” was released in 2018 and features songs "Monument" and "In Your Lungs." Both songs solidify Street Fever’s standing as a powerful electronic artist, with "Monument" focusing on the fast-paced instrumentals and juxtaposition of electronic pitch quality. 

"In Your Lungs" features another female voice, this time emblematic of a spoken word performance. The lyrics are rich with poetic imagery and a storyline and are artfully portrayed through the passionate, yet stylistically monotonous voice.

Street Fever’s most recent single before "Sinner" is "Black Crown," which was released in 2022. The song is an excellent example of the artist’s versatility, taking on the rap genre. A male voice displays urgency and lyricism with his poetic and powerful commentary on society. Halfway through the song, the EDM genre takes over in an engaging tone shift to a more musical segment. 

All of these works have created a vast range of styles for Street Fever to draw from in upcoming work. Now more than ever, they feel empowered to share their story and connect with others seeking support on their personal and spiritual journeys. 

"Sinner" is a call for inner strength and poetic freedom. Street Fever breaks boundaries and reclaims its power through the commanding song. The song begins like a call to action, with the artist yelling through a distorted mic against a fried and full electronic background. The song grows in energy to include drum machines and bass drops, lyrically driven by rhymes until it ends on an outrageous bang. 

The accompanying music video is a blend of destruction and revelry, contrasting clips of the masked artist boldly venturing into churches and art institutions with performance videos.

The video depicts scenes of disruption and energetic expressions of poetry. The video was created after the artist documented these provoking acts while on tour in the U.S. to give audiences a glimpse into their unusual performance expressions. 

Street Fever has garnered a dedicated fan base through its millions of streams. They are set to play at the Treefort Music Fest in March and open for headliner HEALTH.

The artist represents the ever-evolving process of recovery and self-discovery, and their thought-provoking artwork invites audiences to join them on a destructive, yet healing journey through a multitude of mediums. 

@sophiarooks_

sr320421@ohio.edu