The Shack Carryout and Convenience Store at 20 S Court St. in uptown Athens, Ohio.

8 Black-owned businesses to support in Athens

The month of February marks Black History Month, and the origins of this celebration date back to 1915.

Carter G. Woodson and Jesse E. Moorland founded the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History. Now known as the Association for the Study of African American Life and History, or ASALH, the group sponsored a national Negro History Week in 1926. 

This Black History Month, take the time to seek out and support Black-owned businesses here in Athens. While this list will include physical storefronts on Court Street, it is important to note many businesses now operate online. 

A-Roc Entertainment 

A-Roc Entertainment offers a variety of DJ and event services. It can be found at 447 E. State Street in Athens or on its website. The company provides DJ services (wedding, corporate and event), photo booth rentals, audio video production, event videos and reviews, trivia night hosting and live DJ mixes. 

Madison Gierige shared a review of her experience, saying, "A-Roc was our DJ for our Summer 2022 wedding in Hocking Hills. He did an AMAZING job I couldn't have asked for better. He was on it when it came to planning before the wedding (probably more on it than I was)..." 

A-Roc Entertainment has been used by various events and organizations at Ohio University, becoming a trusted member of the entertainment sphere.

Artistic Tresses 

Founded by Delasia Perkins, Artistic Tresses is a wig-styling business based in Athens. According to Perkins in a direct message, "Artistic Tresses is where I'm able to express my creativity through the expression of various hairstyles while making my clients feel satisfied and confident as they leave the chair." 

The services she offers include frontal and closure wig installs, frontal and closure sew-ins, sew-ins and quick weaves. Availability can be found on her Instagram page, @artistic.tresses, with a $10 deposit required upon booking. 

Studio K Simone 

Kiandra Martin is a travel-based makeup artist in Ohio who recently started her business this past year.

"I love all things beauty and love to make people feel beautiful," Martin shared in a direct message.

She offers various services, including group beats, soft glam, full glam, natural beat and bridal consultations. You can contact her at 740-547-7585 or on Instagram, @Studioksimone. Her hours of service are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, with a booking.

The Shack 

Ran by an Ohio University alum and Columbus native turned local, The Shack is located next to The Athena Cinema on Court Street. It is a convenience store open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

Aunjela Latham said in a review, "Loved coming here for the vibes and to see the smile on Mike's face. He does a great job of promoting what he has in stock and his operating hours." 

Studio Jada 

Studio Jada is a hair extension service run by Jada Irwin. Based in Cincinnati and available at Ohio University, Jada offers two-strand twists, retwists, men's design braids, tribal braids, knotless braids, Fulani braids and more services. Hair is included for all styles and a $25 non-refundable deposit is required. This deposit goes toward the total price paid. You can book Jada through a direct message on her Instagram page, @studiojada04

Bam & Bros Barbershop 

Bam & Bros Barbershop on 20 S. Court Street is a Black-owned shop owned by Razor West. It is searchable online and walk-ins are available. Kashif Uddin said in a review, "Always 1000% satisfied with my cut, great people and great conversations. Professional and on point. This is the spot to go to for your cuts…"

SWIM PRINTED

SWIM PRINTED is a merch design operation for businesses and student organizations. It specializes in delivering high-quality custom prints and offers print-on-demand services. The Ohio University alum-owned brand produces unisex t-shirts in sizes ranging from small to triple extra large. The company can be found on its official website or Instagram @swimprinted

Motion Man Enterprises 

Motion Man Enterprises is a lifestyle clothing brand run and founded by Leon. The brand is currently located at Ohio University and can be found through its website or Instagram page @motionmanenterprises. The company sells hoodies, crop tops and more. Currently for sale is the Antihero Hoodie collection.

@Simone_writes_

stillman398721@ohio.edu