History of the Convo

Published February 22, 2024

History of the Convo

From historic basketball games to famous concerts to even a couple of dorm rooms, The Convo has a rich history that many may not know about.

By Robert Keegan III | For The Post

It’s hard to forget the first time you drive down Richland Avenue onto the Ohio University campus, whether it be for a campus tour or the first day of your freshman year; the view of campus from the highway is undeniably beautiful.

Driving down that hill, a couple of things catch your eye. Whether it be Peden Stadium, the Hocking River, or the luscious greenery cascading over the mountains, one thing is impossible to miss — that huge circular brick building that defines the Ohio University horizon.

That building, labeled The Convo, has stood at the foot of that hill for 56 years since opening in 1968.

For 56 years, The Convo has acted as a hub for Ohio Athletics while also serving various other purposes.

Some of Ohio’s biggest wins in any sport have occurred at The Convo. The 13,000-seat arena has been sold out a handful of times for men’s basketball games. Many of the greatest matchups in the historic “Battle of the Bricks” between Ohio and Miami have been played in front of a sold-out arena.

The very first sporting event ever hosted at The Convo was a matchup between Ohio and Indiana on Dec. 3, 1968, a game in which Ohio came from behind to win 80-70. In fact, Ohio won 35 of its first 37 home games inside The Convo.

Feb. 28, 1970, just two years after the opening of the arena, Ohio broke the attendance record at any Mid-American Conference Basketball game when 14,102 fans witnessed the team clinch a conference title over Bowling Green.

In terms of famous athletes, The Convo has hosted Ohio legends like Gary Trent, Dave Jamerson and Jason Preston. Jamerson broke the school record for points scored in a game inside The Convo when he scored 60 points in a single game against Charleston during the 1989 season.

Many see The Convo as a home to Ohio’s men’s and women’s basketball teams, the wrestling team and the volleyball team, but for some students, The Convo is their actual home at Ohio. Interestingly, The Convo has a handful of dorm rooms within its walls.

The historic building also hosted a slew of concerts in the later decades of the 20th century. Current-day students would be surprised to hear that The Convo once hosted the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Led Zepplin and Billy Joel.

The first-ever concert held inside The Convo was during homecoming weekend in 1968 when legendary folk duo Simon and Garfunkel performed in front of a sold-out crowd.

Ohio students' academic careers ceremoniously begin and end at The Convo. From freshman opening ceremonies to graduation commencement, many students share incredibly special moments within The Convo’s walls.

AUTHOR: Robert Keegan III

EDITOR: Bobby Gorbett

COPY EDITOR: Addie Hedges

ILLUSTRATION: Alaina Dackermann

WEB DEVELOPMENT: Sadie Borandi