Fresh Finds Friday: Returning artists are back, new rap beef

Happy Friday! With the end of the week in sight, it is another week with new music. However, this time, there is some drama involved. This past week, we have new music from Hiatus Kaiyote, Benny The Butcher and more.

Here are five new songs you should check out:

"Everything's Beautiful" by Hiatus Kaiyote

Hiatus Kaiyote, the Australian jazz and funk band, returns after a two-year hiatus with a new track, "Everything's Beautiful." It provides us a little taste of what's to come on a forthcoming project: a true celebration of jazzy guitar licks, soulful bass and lush vocals. Nai Palm, the lead singer of the group, shared a little bit of how the song came to be in an interview with The Line of Best Fit.

"'Everything's Beautiful' is a testament to the importance of finding simple joy in your day,“ Palm said. "To me, my happy place is walking around exploring the world with my headphones." 

With this new song, the band hopes listeners actively seek beauty, grace and joy in a world that seems so mundane and dull.

"HISS" by Megan Thee Stallion

If you've been on any social media platform in the past week, you've probably heard the lyrics: "These hoes don't be mad at Megan, these hoes mad at Megan's Law." The lyrics refer to Megan's Law, which requires law enforcement to make information about sex offenders available to the public.

Since its release, the song has led to a feud in the rap world between Megan Thee Stallion and Nicki Minaj, whose husband is registered as a sex offender. Listeners thought Stallion was taking a stab at Minaj, and she immediately replied with her diss track, "Big Foot." Although "HISS" did not mention Minaj or her husband, the new track serves as a hint of a possible forthcoming album from the rapper.

"See you soon" by Wisp

Indie singer-songwriter Wisp transports us into the hypnotic space of crushing on someone on "See you soon." Opening with the lyrics "I'd trade hours for minutes with you," the song captures the genuine desire for the person in mind. 

"'See you soon' is about being infatuated with a person and wanting to spend your time with them, but that person will not last and the feelings aren't as passionate as yours," Wisp said in an interview with UPROXX. The song also came with a visualizer, which you can watch here.

"Back Again (with Snoop Dogg)" by Benny The Butcher

Buffalo native Benny The Butcher teams up with West Coast icon Snoop Dogg for an East Coast, West Coast connection. This was seen when they teamed up on the 2021 single "Murder Music," alongside Jadakiss and Busta Rhymes. This time, however, Benny brings some bars about focusing on your goals over a classic East Coast boom-bap, infused with sirens that are so predominant in West Coast hip-hop. The song comes with a music video that you can watch here.

"Burn The Hard Drive (feat. Mura Masa)" by Jade Bird

Another artist this past week dropped a new song after a two-year hiatus, which was singer-songwriter Jade Bird in collaboration with Mura Masa. The song itself is about healing after a breakup. 

Bird went onto her Instagram to talk about the single: "'Burn The Hard Drive' was a song I wrote while still in my last relationship. I think my subconscious knew before I did that it was over. But also, that the ending would be where much more could begin."

The song comes with an artistic montage of photos in a video directed by Aries Moross, a frequent collaborator with Bird and you can watch the video here

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu